Diet for diarrhea
Food: Eating and drinking with diarrhea
DIET FOR DIARRHEA
Dietary tips for diarrhea
Adequate food is essential to control diarrhea. It is advised eating foods which do not have many insoluble fibers, as these produce an overstimulation of the intestine and increase the diarrhea.
Choose those foods capable of replenishing the large amount of fluid lost and, above all, those that are able to restore the minerals removed by the liquid loss (sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium)
Among the most suitable food to stop diarrhea, we have:
Unsuitable foods for diarrhea
It is advised NOT to eat the following types of food:
- Any type of food other than those mentioned above within the first 24 hours of the episode of diarrhea.
- Rich soluble fiber food because it produces an overstimulation of the colon. Bran, dried plums and dried fruits in general must be rejected.
- Food which is not well tolerated by the affected person. Food intolerances are responsible for many cases of diarrhea.
- Too sweet food since it increases peristaltism (bowel movements) producing of favoring diarrhea encouraging.
- Sweet drinks with artificial sweeteners such as sorbitol or mannitol, which also stimulate evacuation.
- Drinks with caffeine (coffee, tea, colas) since they contribute to the removal of too much liquid.
More information about diarrhea natural treatment in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.