How to germinate alfalfa at home
HOW TO OBTAIN ALFALFA SPROUTS AT HOME
What is needed for alfalfa sprouts at home?
To obtain alfalfa sprouts we will need the following ingredients and utensils:
- Alfalfa seeds, better to buy seeds in specialized stores biologically obtained.
- Transparent glass jars
- Burlap or canvas fabric
- Rubber bands
How to produce alfalfa sprouts?
To get to germinate the seeds of alfalfa we will follow these steps:
- Enter a few seeds at the bottom of each glass jar. The amount of seeds depends on the size of the pot, but in general, you should keep in mind that these have to form a thin film on the bottom.
- Add water to the seeds. The volume of water added is four times that one of seeds.
- Cover each glass jar with a piece of cloth, so that it covers the mouth plus a fifth of it.
- Hold the fabric with a rubber band.
- Place the pot in a warm dark place.
- After 4 or 5 hours, we will remove the fabric, will empty the water and add some new water.
-We will repeat the process every day two to three times, removing the cloth, emptying and renewing old water until the seeds have germinated.
Photograph of alfalfa germinator which can be purchased in stores. We can make a home seeder, with the same effect, following the instructions in the article.
When does germination takes place?
Germination occurs, more or less, after one week.
Once germinated, alfalfa sprouts will be taken out of the glasses, rinsed thoroughly with clean water and the material that is in poor condition or seeds that have not germinated will be deleted.
How to keep sprouts?
It is convenient to eat alfalfa sprouts in a few days to prevent their nutritional properties to be lost.
Meanwhile, they can be stored in the refrigerator, along with other vegetables.
More information about alfalfa in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.