CILANTRO IN THE KITCHEN
Cilantro uses and recipes in the world
Cilantro in the kitchen
What is cilantro?Cilantro or coriander (Coriandrum sativum) is a plant of the Umbelliferae family, related botanically with parsley.
Cilantro flavor is pungent, spicy, with and strong citrus aroma.
This aromatic herb is used in cooking around the world: China, Middle East, Africa, Asia, Europe and Mexico, where it is known as Chinese parsley.
Cilantro word generally refers to the leaves, specially in South America, whereas coriander generally corresponds to the same plant seeds.
These seeds are used in curries and marinades.
How do we cook cilantro?
- Cilantro is used fresh, as it was chopped parsley. Added to the end of a preparation, it gives a loud and very distinctive flavor.
- Do not add during cooking: Heat destroys its aroma and can sour dishes.
- For the presentation of dishes, you can place a bunch or a few fresh leaves decoration. For example, it is use to decorate the guacamole sauce.
- Store at room temperature in a jar or glass of water, or in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
BENEFITS OF CILANTRO
Recipes with cilantro
We can find the traditional coriander recipes all around the world. Some of the most popular dishes are:
- Cuisine of Mexico: One of the dishes is the guacamole, avocado sauce and vegetables are raw, which gives cilantro flavor. Prepare 2 large avocados, five tomatoes, half an onion, 1 clove garlic, green chile, cilantro and salt.
Cilantro is a very typical ingredient of Mexican cuisine, which is also used for mole tacos, salads, rice dishes, meat, fish, etc..
- Cuisine of India: It appears in very different uses, one of the most popular is in the chutney (Dhania Hari Chatni). It is a green sauce made with a bunch of cilantro, ground cashews, a little ginger, yogurt, lemon juice, honey and salt. Grind all the ingredients and sauce to accompany rice, vegetables and meat dishes are served.
Also used in stews, rice dishes, vegetables, in typical lentil dal, etc.
- Cuisine of Vietnam and other Southeast Asian countries: an aromatic herb is widely used for the preparation of curry sauce, rice, salads, soups and stews.
- Cuisine of Peru: A must for developing the traditional ceviche ingredient.
- Cuisine of Venezuela: A typical ingredient for this country gravy, the Guasacaca. It is prepared with avocado, onion, cilantro, peppers (chili) green, garlic, oil, white vinegar and black pepper.
More information about cilantro in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.