(Eugenia Caryophyllata = Zyzigium aromaticum)
HOW TO COOK CLOVE
Cooking with cloves in recipes
Clove has a pungent aroma, provides an intense, exhilarating and refreshing scent. To cook it use it sparingly because excessive doses is too intense and coud mask other flavors.
Clove is mainly used as a spice. You can add between 2 or 4 cloves in a soup or stew pot, which will provide a sharp, exotic and refreshing taste, according to the proportion.
Clove can also be ground together with other spices it blends well with, like turmeric, pepper, cinnamon, star anise, cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger or anise, choosing the ingredients according to the desired flavor: warm, spicy, etc.
Among these mixtures, ther is the traditional spice Garam masala, or curry sauce prepared with coconut milk .
Clove to macerate
Clove is well suited to marinate, because it does not only provide aromas and organoleptic properties to food, but it helps keep it free from harmful bacteria, for its antiseptic properties.
This method is useful in recipes with fish, seafood or meat, that are only consumed marinated without cooking, like ceviche, sashimi, sushi, poke, lomi or carpaccio.
In this way, clove add controls microorganisms in food during maceration, helping to prevent food poisoning.
With cloves you can also make infusions.
Some dry cloves
Recipes with cloves
The following list includes recipes of cloves:
- Chai Tea
Pastry with cloves:
Cookie recipe with cloves, cinnamon and ginger
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons soda powder
- 1 cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Half teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mix the egg, honey, oil and sugar in a bowl. Stir well.
- Add the flour, soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Stir well. Sprinkle salt.
- Once the dough is ready, (it has consistency and does not become sticky) form small balls about 3.5 cm in diameter.
- Place on a baking paper all the balls, leaving about 5 cm between them to prevent sticking when enlarged.
- Place in the oven, preheat to 190 ° C, for 10 to 13 minutes. Check the center, poke with a tooth pick to see it if is done. (This comes out dry and is firm to the touch click a ball)
- Once done, remove it from oven and let it cool.
Ways to serve:
It can be eaten at breakfast with yogurt or milk or tea with some jam. They are very aromatic and crunchy and they taste very good.
More information on clove in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.