Ethiopian spice mix recipe
ETHIOPIAN SPICES MIX
- 12 red chillies peeled and seeded
- 8 cloves
- 8 berries of cardamom
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- Half a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ajowan seeds
- 1 teaspoon allspice grains
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Half teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix all ingredients except nutmeg and ground ginger.
- Slightly tast the mix in the pan, over medium- low fire for about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir constantly. When the seeds have been roasted, remove from heat.
- Remove the outer shell of cardamom seeds. Only use the black and aromatic seeds found inside. Discard the berry.
- Add half a teaspoon of nutmeg and 1 teaspoon ginger.
Each spice has different medicinal properties:
- Cuminis also a digestive spice, like other Umbelliferae such as fennel, dill or anise.
The spice blends are a cultural heritage, a very important nutrient for all civilizations, in spite of being less valued nowadays. These fragrant spices have written the history of the modern world, through the Spice Route and the discovery of America (or New World). During the Middle Ages in Europe, spices were so important as to be considered money to pay taxes.
Currently, the amazing aromas that these spices can bring go unnoticed in societies where fast -food is so well established. However, these little ingredients provide a great aroma to our dishes as well as nutritional and medicinal virtues:
From a nutritional point of view, all the spices are rich in antioxidant and aromatic anticancer substances. We let you enjoy natural foods and discover new flavor combinations that will broaden your culinary horizons.
More information on fenugreek recipes in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.