Foods to detoxify the liver
Liver detoxifying foods
Grated carrot with lemon. simple but very satisfying, nourishing and healthy recipe
Vegetables, essential to cleanse the liver
When the liver is being cleaned, we should make a diet with plenty of vegetables, because they provide the necessary antioxidants for liver toxic cleaning functions to be performed.
Raw vegetables or those prepared with a gentle cooking are recommended, so as to better retain their nutrients. Fried food or sauteed food are not recommended.
Among the cooking options we can point out: creams, boiled, steamed cooking, purees, papillotes, etc.
Vegetables should always be the major food meals.
For liver cleansing, nutritious vegetables should be chosen, among which artichokes, cardoons, garlic, onions, and the whole group of cruciferous vegetables, which are considered very potent detoxifying antioxidants. Among them, the following ones: Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, turnip, cauliflower, etc.
Vegetables for people with difficult or heavy digestion
Fruits to purify the liver
Raspberries, rich in antioxidants and suitable for cleansing the liver.
You can sprinkle cinnamon on fruits, which has hypoglycemic effect.
In general, seasonal fruit is recommended. Do not take fruit juice or juices.
Fruits recommended for the liver are sour apples, which by its high content of malic acid, aid in the digestive process.
Malic acid is used in rheumatic treatments to help you feel more energetic and with a greater vitality.
This component is also located on mangoes, figs, apricots, pineapple, peach, tamarind and guava. Pomegranate is one of the favorite fruits for its high content of antioxidants, polyphenols, tannins, citric, malic and ellagic acid. In autumn and winter you can not miss this type of food.
Grains and legumes to purify the liver
An example of ideal breakfast is oatmeal porridge. Other breakfast options are fruits, nuts, seeds, etc. If you get up with the pasty mouth, do not eat breakfast, take some tea and have breakfast in half an hour.
Legumes provide a lot of vegetable protein, when combined with grains or seeds. You should soak all beans before cooking, to clean dirt and to eliminate their anti-nutrients.
During meals whole grains can be ingested (brown rice with vegetables, millet cake, cabbage with potatoes, potato salad, etc.). This is not a diet without carbohydrates, it is to eat foods the most natural and nutritious as possible. All meals must start with a plate of vegetables, you should always eat more vegetables than animal protein or cereals.
Whole grains should preferably be organically grown, because, when they are not organic, they have traces of pesticides and plant protection products in the husk (wash them with water).
Healthy oils for the liver
Avocado and pomegranate salad
For cooking and dressing, use olive oil. or if you do not have this oil, other seed unrefined oils (first cold pressing).
Avocado salad and pomegranate salad
However, they should be consumed in moderate amounts not to produce very slow digestion.
* See: Fats are not harmful to purify the liver
Other aid to purify the liver
Other dietary recommendations include:
- Chia seeds: Take 1 teaspoon of chia seeds with 1 cup of water at each meal (3 times daily), which, because they are high in soluble fiber, they collaborate on cleansing the body.
- For non-vegetarian diets, the most recommended animal protein are those from organic farming: meat, wild fish or eggs. During this diet, it is recommended to moderate consumption of this food group. It is desirable to take a balanced vegetarian diet at least the first 3 days.
- Food of organic farming is recommended since it contains fewer chemicals, especially animal products.
- Daily physical exercise is necessary to mobilize fat. We recommend at least one hour a day of briskly walking. For this type of exercise is not necessary to take sports drinks and alike, only 1 fruit before exercise, and the next meal with the foods listed in this article.
A diet rich in antioxidants is very important because the liver needs antioxidants during the detoxification process. Foods rich in antioxidants are:
- Vegetables in bright colors (green, orange, red,...)
- Fresh fruits (preferably seasonal)
These foods have to be the most abundant ones in the diet to cleanse the liver.
How many times a day should you eat?
Do not have breakfast if you wake up with the pasty mouth. In those cases, take hepatobiliary plants, drink a camomile tea, and do not have breakfast until after half an hour or an hour.
¿3 or 5 meals a day? Depending on the habits of each person, you can distribute food in 5 meals a day, or concentrate them all in 3. What is not recommended is to be eating all day. People with poor appetite can be organized into 3 full meals, not to be hungry all day, control hunger between meals and to rest the digestive organs (both ways you can eat the same calories). A fruit and / or a handful of nuts are well suited afternoon options.
Avoid toxic and other substances that will spoil the liver
- Do not take multivitamins or drugs not prescribed by your doctor. It is advisable to consult your doctor to avoid taking too many drugs.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco, coffee, spicy and too much fried food.
- Avoid processed foods: Precooked, flour (bread, pasta, sugary cereals, cakes, biscuits, bechamel, cakes,...), snacks, pastries, chocolate, packaged goods, sugar (sweets, jams, yogurt flavor, glues, industrial-natural juices or fruit,...), sweeteners (sugar-free gum, agave syrup, sodas, colas, diet products...), canned foods, etc.
Go on reading: Symptoms of liver congestion
More information on liver diseases in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.