What is chia water?
Fresh water of chia is one of Chia most popular drinks. I was part of the Aztec culture and even today is consumed in Central America.
This recipe is described by the explorer Edward Palmer, who wrote in 1871: "For the preparation, chia seeds are roasted, ground and water is added to form a thick mass whose volume is several times the volume of the original mixture. Then sugar is added"
From this, the semi-fluid pinole comes from, highly esteemed among the Indians as one of the best and most nutritious food especially to travel through the desert. "Ingredients:
- 1 cup Chia seeds rinsed and drained
- 100 ml of lemon juice
- 1 cup brown sugar (optional replace some sugar with stevia, saccharin or other sweeteners)
- 2.5 liters of water.
- Optional: peppermint, spearmint, lemon verbena or lemon balm.
- Soak the Chia seeds in a pint of water for one hour.
- In the remaining water, mix the lemon juice and sugar.
- Add the soaked Chia and water, cool in refrigerator 2 hours and serve.
- Before serving, stir with a spoon to spread the seeds throughout the drink.
- A variation could be to add mint or peppermint with crushed ice as a "mojito".
Properties of chia water
The mucilage is a type of soluble fiber that regulates bowel movement and can help lower cholesterol. Therefore, this drink is indicated in all types of balanced diets, but specially for a diet for constipation and low cholesterol diets.
More recipes and information about chia in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.