How to prevent malaria
HOW TO PREVENT MALARIA CONTAGION
Natural Prevention to prevent mosquito bites
It is very important to make a correct infection prevention of the parasite that causes malaria disease, as its cure can be very complicated.
Plasmodium parasite multiply within our liver cells and red blood cells. We can say that they lurk within our cells and, as these cells are part of our body, our body's defenses are not able to detect it in order to destroy it.
Furthermore, it is continually changing, whereupon during the time that elapses between our immune system detects them and creates antibodies to destroy them, such antibodies are no longer functional.
It means that our immune system is not capable of destroying these parasites, since they are already different and our immune system does not recognize them.
However, the spleen is able to remove some infected RBC and our immune system is able to eliminate parasitic cells when reside freely in the bloodstream.
Methods to prevent malaria contagion
- Mosquito repellents must not be sprayed with a proportion higher that 35%. because they are toxic in larger quantities. Natural repellents may be used instead.
- Cover your entire body with clothing, long sleeve shirts, long pants,... in areas where there is risk of infection is high
- Specially protect yourself in warm moist areas such as ponds, lakes and wetlands with standing water. Stay aside from areas of mosquitoes, not being outdoors, especially at dusk and at night, when most often mosquitoes are biting.
- Sleep with mosquito nets and insecticides, in windows and beds.
- Take antimalarial drugs in areas with a high risk of infection, prior to going to them, while you are there o after returning home. Call a physician to consult when and how to start taking them, since treatment may be realized even up to 2 months prior to departure and during the month after the return, as the cycle of the parasites takes a few days and drugs are not effective if parasites are not in the blood.
Plants for malaria prevention
- Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) It is a tree that has bee reputed reputed capable of cleaning swamps of mosquitoes that live in them, so it is conferred with qualities to reduce malaria infection.
- Geranium (Pelargonium reniform), is a plant that is used as a mosquito repellent. Its time of effectiveness requires repeated application of the extract in alcohol, every 3 hours and has an efficiency of almost 70%.
- Noni (Morinda citrifolia) It is an Asian plant that is often used as a topical ointment to repel mosquitos. It also has analgesic properties that may be useful in case of fever, headache etc..
More information on malaria in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.