Melons are the fruits of the melon (Cucumis melo).
They have an oval shape with a thick and rough skin.
The skin color indicates the state of ripeness of a melon . This varies from dark green to light green or yellow, as the fruit matures.
Below the skin, melons contain an edible pulp, yellow, cream or white, with a smooth texture.
In the center of the fruit melons have an oval space with many sticky seeds.
As an energy source, 100 grams of melon will provide 35 kcal.
Their proportion of nutrients is divided into:
- More than 89% is water
- A 0.88% fat
- Close to 0.3% protein
- More than 8% carbohydrate
- A 0.8% fiber
Melons are rich in potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and calcium, but they also contains sodium, iron, zinc, selenium, manganese and copper.
Melons contain a lot of vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin B9. They also contain other B vitamins and vitamin E.
A slice of melon
- It has a high water content that prevents us to become dehydrated.
- It gives us energy during the day.
- It is a poor source of fat and protein.
- Has a moderate carbohydrate content , specifically sugars.
- It has a very low fiber content.
Melon. "toad skin" variety
- It helps to remove toxins from our body, because it contains potassium.
- Calcium, together with phosphorus, maintains the balance of the formation of strong bones.
- It helps to maintain a proper brain function, because it contains phosphorus and B vitamins
- Because of its vitamin B9 content, it helps us to grow properly.
- Magnesium helps to relax the muscles.
- It protects our skin and helps us to keep it healthy, because it contains vitamin A.
- It protects us from colds and helps heal wounds, since it possess a lot of vitamin C.
- It protects us from toxic and aging, because it contains vitamin A, C and E and minerals selenium and zinc.
- Melon with ginger
More information on melon properties in the listing above
Other interesting articles
What to do to remain young?
How to prevent allergies
What is aloe vera gel good for?
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.
© 1999-2015 Botanical-Online SL. All rights reserved.