Plant Magazine of Botanical-online September 2017

Natural remedies

Mercury in food or water

MERCURY IN FOOD OR WATER

Why is mercury harmful?

Mercury is a very polluting. It is highly toxic to humans. It can be fatal in doses of 500 mg. Ingestion results in the form of digestive damage, mainly to the kidneys and liver.

Among the most characteristic symptoms, we found belly pain, vomiting, diarrhea, cardiac arrest and death.

External exposure to this poison can cause dermatitis or eczema and inhalation of its vapors may cause serious lung problems.

Where does mercury come from?

In general, at present, the incorporation of mercury comes primarily from food, with polluted fish food that contains more of this poison. Other sources are contaminated water or environmental aerosols.

Mercury has been industrially widely used. I has appeared in the composition of caustic soda, and in many measuring instruments (barometers, thermometers, etc.), electricity or dental amalgam.

This has produced a large spill of mercury in the environment that has finally ended forming part of the food chain. Currently its use is much more limited in many countries, fortunately.

Water polluted with mercury

Acceptable limits of mercury in water are between 0.5 and 0.6 mg per liter. In general, most of the waters do not exceed these limits.

Antioxidants to combat mercury

Another way of reducing mercury effects on human body is to ingest rich antioxidant food. Antioxidants are able to neutralize the negative effects of this harmful substance. (More information about antioxidants)

punto rojo More information on water in the listing above

Other interesting articles

This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.

© 1999-2017 Botanical-Online SL. All rights reserved.

Mobile version