Nosebleed natural treatment
Characteristics of nosebleed
Nosebleed or epistaxis is the bleeding that occurs in a more or less frequent through the nose. There are two types of nosebleeds:
- "Anterior epistaxis ": Those that occur in front of the nose near the nostrils. This type of bleeding is very common in children. Occur because in this area there is an abundance of hair. It's the kind of nosebleed easier to stop.
- "Posterior epistaxis ": Those that occur on the inside of the nose. Older adults are more susceptible to this type of bleeding, which, on the other hand, are more difficult to stop.
Symptoms of nosebleed
The main symptoms of nosebleed are: Bleeding from the nose, nosebleeds, difficulty in stopping bleeding, etc.
Causes of nosebleed
The main causes of nose bleeding are very varied. Among all we can mention the following:
- Environmental conditions: A temperature that is too dry, dries the inside of the nose. It forms small scabs that break, causing bleeding. Excessive cold constricts blood vessels, given their fragility, they can break causing nose bleeds.
- External aggressions: Blows, a broken nose, picking the nose with fingernails, the foreign objects get into the cavity traps, etc. can cause damage to the lining of the nose, causing bleeding. You may also be bleeding from the nose when someone blows his nose too hard or as a result of very strong and continuous sneezing.
- Changes of pressure: Changes in atmospheric pressure or pressure changes produced by different levels of altitude (on a plane, climbing a mountain, etc.) can cause nosebleeds.
- Skull fracture, nosebleeds may indicate the presence of a skull fracture produced after a head injury.
- Diseases: Sometimes the nasal bleeding is the result of some physical illnesses, such as blood clotting problems, arteriosclerosis, nose polyps, tumors, allergies that cause irritation of the nose (allergic rhinitis), hypertension
- Medicines: Certain medications, especially anticoagulants, encourage or cause nasal bleeding.
How to prevent nose bleeding
In order to avoid the appearance of hemorrhages in the nose we would have to consider the following advice:
- Reduce blood pressure
- Avoid too humid environments, to do this, plants in the room or containers with water can be placed. Also vaporizers can be used.
- Avoid the too cold places: Use the heater indoors or cover the face and nose while outside.
- Avoid tobacco: Smoking tobacco dries out the nostrils. Do not smoke or avoid places where smoking if you're prone to nosebleeds.
- Avoid medicines that make the blood more fluid and prevent clotting whenever possible.
- Avoid foods with anti coagulating properties (More information on this subject in the listing above)
- Increase the ingestion of rich-iron foods. These foods help the formation of blood that it is lost by the continuous bleeding.
Diagnostics and treatment of nosebleed
The first thing to do in an attempt to stop nasal bleeding. To do this, we will press gently the front of the nose with the thumb and forefinger and double the affected person's head forward. We should not tilt the head back as this may cause you to swallow the blood inadvertently.
Later, It may be suitable to stop the nose bleeding by means of applying a wet cotton or also a piece of sterile wet gauze in your nostrils. You should press your nose gently approximately for 10 minutes or less. If, after 15 or 20 minutes the nose is still bleeding, the person concerned must be taken to a hospital.
The loss of much blood could have fatal consequences. When the nosebleeds are internal, something which is noticed, because we perceive the passage of blood from the throat down, the person concerned must also be attended by a physician.
Although the bleeding stops, leave the cap on the inside of the nose for about 20 or 25 minutes. When out, it is desirable to re-moisten the cotton or gauze to prevent it to reopen the wound if it was dry. A nose that has had a nosebleed should not be cleaned for a week or week and a half to prevent dissolution of the crust that stops bleeding. If we did it before, probably it would bleed again.
There are some very persistent bleedings that can be stopped by applying ice to the nose. This has not to be done when the bleeding has occurred precisely because of the cold.
More information on nosebleeds natural treatment in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.