Nutritional properties of rye
What is rye?
Rye is a cereal which is primarily used for making bread from rye flour (see its properties in the listing above).
Photo of rye seeds
Rye in the diet
- Rye grain. Often the main obstacle when introducing a cereal in the diet is not knowing how to cook it. Here we leave the cooking instructions for rye grain.
- Flour for preparations. Rye flour contains pentosans, substances responsible for providing viscosity to the aqueous mass to which is added. Typically used in the preparation of meatballs, soups and puddings.
- Rye bread. Rye yields a dark bread very popular in the northern countries of Europe, called Knäckebrot.
In other countries, such as Russia and Germany, or in the South Tyrol, there is a black bread obtained by mixing wheat flour and rye, and enriched with fennel and cumin.
In France, it is very common a kind of cake called pain d'epice or gingerbread (gingerbread).
Rye bread stays fresh longer than soft wheat.
- Alcoholic Beverages. In Russia there is a beer called kvass, made from maize,
Rye is also used in the manufacture of some types of vodka.
- Coffee Substitute. From the roasted and ground rye grain you get a coffee substitute.
Where to buy rye?
Rye is an uncommon cereal in specific countries, but it is increasingly widespreading. Depending on the region and culinary tradition, it is more or less common in developed markets.
In the countries of northern and central Europe, rye is a very common cereal, so you can buy it in most supermarkets and the price is cheaper than in countries where consumption is not abundant.
Types of rye
We can buy rye in the following presentations:
- Whole / or ecological rye. Rye Flakes. When purchasing whole grains, note that they are whole and they do not have abnormal discoloration resulting from improper storage.
Pumpernickel bread is typical in Eastern European countries and in Scandinavia. It is made with rye.
How to preserve rye?
Rye kernel oil and rye flour has a very low water content, making it difficult the growth of bacteria in this food.
What is the price of rye ?
- Rye grain price ranges from 2 to 2.40 € / kg, depending on whether it comes from organic or conventional farming.
Where can I buy rye?
Rye can be purchased at health food stores, markets, shopped in bulk, organic stores, online shops and some supermarkets with specialized dietary sections.
More information about rye in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.