Medicinal plants for sciatica
HOW TO REMEDY SCIATICA
Phytoteraphy. Medicinal plants for sciatica
The use of herbal medicine focuses on using those plants with a dual purpose:
- Suitable plants to reduce swellling of the affected area
- Plants that can remove toxins.
- Plants to soothe pain.
Herbal preparations for internal use for sciatica
Among the many plants that can be used, we will point out the following:
- Willow (Salix sp.) Due to its high content in salicin, principle of aspirin. (Decoction of a pinch (2 g.) of dried bark per cup of water. Take two or three cups a day. Children from 4 to 10 years half dose) Do not take if allergic to aspirin. Prolonged use of it can irritate the stomach.
- St. John's wort: (Hyperycum perforatum) It is a good remedy for sore body especially those caused by rheumatism, gout, arthritis, sciatica, low back pain... etc (Infusion of a flowering tops teaspoon in a cup of water a couple of times daily) (Phototoxic plant. Consult contraindications)
- Diuretic plants: They increase urine output level what removes toxins. Very useful in cases where sciatica originates in a problem of rheumatism.
Sciatic remedies for external use
- Cabbage (Brassica oleracea) Apply a pair of hot cabbage leaves on the affected area.
Hot cabbage leaves are placed on the painful area
- Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana): Apply a lotion on the painful area with white radish juice. It can be counterproductive in certain people sensitive to this plant. Try this remedy for a short time. Never kept on site for more than 20 minutes.
- Mustard (Brassica nigra): Make a poultice of mustard sedds and apply to the affected area. This preparation is rubefacient, so it will produce a reddening of the area with the consequent increase of heat. Do Not kept on the skin for more than 20 minutes.
- Verbena (Verbena officinalis) (Crush the fresh leaves and apply a poultice on the painful area). (You can get a higher anti-inflammatory power from boiling leaves in oil for about 10 minutes. Let it cool and apply on the affected area as a poultice) (Boil a handful of leaves in vinegar. Let the vinegar evaporate. Place the leaves on a hot gauze, wrap them and apply to the painful area)
- Nettle (Urtica dioica) Taking a bath where a liter of nettle infusion has been added relaxes the sciatic nerve and reduces pain. Another, even more effective, or more drastic solution is to apply through the painful area a sprig of fresh nettle.
The stinging principles will produce a reaction in the body whic will mask sciatic pain, and will decrease and nullify the pain of the affected area after a few days.
The application must be done very carefully a couple of times a day on the legs and arms. To reduce the irritant effect, you can sprinkle talcum powder on the area of application.
Nettle leaves and flowers
SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES FOR SCIATICA
- The application of heat in the affected area decreases pain. Apply a hot water bottle on it.
Alternative therapies for the treatment of sciatica
In addition to herbal medicine and home remedies, request a consultation with a specialist of the following natural therapies:
More information on sciatica and pain remedies in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.