How to prevent urinary incontinence
HOW TO AVOID URINARY INCONTINENCE
Tips to prevent or improve stress urinary incontinence
Among the tips to prevent or improve stress urinary incontinence, we would have the following:
- Exercises to strengthen the perineal muscles (Kegel exercises,) : strengthening the pelvic floor muscles (muscles that are between the anus and vagina in women and between the anus and scrotum in men) is a way to prevent or manage incontinence.
In general the method to follow is:
Strengthen the abdominal muscles:
Use of cones: A series of cones of different weights (on sale in pharmacies) which are inserted into the vagina and must be kept there for a quarter of an hour squeezing the muscles. This type of exercise is performed three times each day and cones placed are progressively bigger.
Performing gentle exercises regularly:light physical activity can help relieve stress and improve the problem. Particularly interesting are the exercises from "Belly dance." This dance, which was invented to facilitate the expulsion of the fetus in pregnant women, does not only provide a great control of the body and mind but, given the type of moves that are enhanced in it, it also develops the muscles of the pelvis and vagina, thereby achieving a better control of vaginal and urinal muscles.
This dance can help menopausal women to address urinary incontinence and improve their sexual relationships. It is an alternative to the Kegel exercises.
- Exercises to train the urinary bladder: It consists of trying to prolong the time of evacuation progressively, so that, after a period of time, one is able to alleviate the problem when being able not to go to the toilet so frequently.
- Avoid the excessive ingestion of liquids : This does not imply that you should not drink the necessary fluids, which would be worse since you will dehydrate yourself. It is better for you to drink in the morning and to take into account those foods that are very diuretic early in the morning, in order to stimulate kidney function producing a large quantity of urine during the first part of the day. Do not drink too much o do not eat too much diuretic food before going to bed.
- Avoid obesity: Obesity exerts an excessive pressure on the bladder and can produce involuntary urination.
- Avoid constipation. Constipation can worsen this problem reason why a change in eating habits can help.
- Avoid the violent activities that exert too much pressure on the pelvis.
- Use sanitary towels or pantiliners: Although they do no+t improve the problem they can serve as temporary aid for those people who cannot control incontinence with the previous methods.
Stem cells: recent advances in incontinence treatment
According to studies conducted at the University of Innsbruck (Austria) a group of women who were injected with stem cells from the muscles of their arms on the wall of the urethra and sphincter have overcome this disorder.
After a year of treatment, 18 of the 20 treated women showed no incontinence. This same technique was used by Catalan researchers to regenerate bone tissue formation with remarkable success. The five women who were implanted stem cells in broken bones got a better and faster regeneration.
More information on types of incontinence and their natural treatment in the listing above.
Related information: Vitamins, minerals and other supplements for incontinence
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.