Mouth ulcers , also known as canker sores or aphthous ulcers - are lesions of the mucous membranes of the mouth in form of small white or yellow craters surrounded by a red circle. They are painful and non-infectious. they appear inside the mouth in the soft mucous (Behind the lips, cheek lining, tongue, etc.), individually or several at once.
They can occur at any age and are more common in women than in men. The frequency of duration is usually between 7 and 20 days, but they are often recurrent.
Symptoms of mouth ulcers
The main symptoms are:
- Crater-shaped sores
- Painful swelling of the lymph nodes
- Fever, etc.
Causes of mouth ulcers
Sometimes they have no obvious cause. Some causes producing them are:
- Immune deficiencies: They appear to be the main reason for these injuries. Thus, these types of conditions are very common in children with food deficiency or in the elderly or ill people.
- Oral lesions. Many canker sores develop from a mouth injury. These could include injuries, bites, contact with aggressive teeth, dentures, inadequate washing of teeth , and so on.
- Hormonal changes: It is quite common, for example, that aphthous ulcers occur in women during menstruation.
- Allergic reactions to certain foods: The consumption of certain spicy food or acidic foods like citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, tangerines, grapefruit, etc.), , cherries, pineapples, tomatoes, vinegar, etc.
The canker sores usually improve spontaneously. If this improvement does not to appear in two or three weeks, it is required to visit the doctor who can make a proper diagnosis and treatment.
Tips for avoiding mouth ulcers
The following recommendations would be useful to prevent the occurrence of ulcers in the mouth or stopped them from getting worse:
- Care for the food and avoid foods that may trigger it
- Avoid injuries to the mouth. The tendency to press one's tongue against the mouth parts with small ulcers can worsen the wounds. We must not bite the soft tissue parts of the mouth. If we notice friction of the teeth, we should visit the dentist. Equally we should do it if we think that denture is ill-fitting.
- Provide a proper dental cleaning: Cleaning your teeth properly is one way to prevent infection that may be the onset of an ulcer. A suitable toothpaste is necessary.
- Avoid stress
The natural treatment of mouth ulcer involves using a series of natural resources that help prevent this disease or reduce its symptoms.