Vision loss natural treatment
Natural medicine for vision loss
Characteristics of vision loss
Vision loss or visual loss is a disorder characterized by vision acuity loss. This can be suddenly produced (acute visual loss) or gradually (progressive visual loss)
Symptoms of vision loss
The main symptoms of visual loss are: blurred vision, lack of visual acuity, loss of central vision, distorted vision, distorted vision of straight lines, white spot on reading a book, etc.
Causes of vision loss
- Eye opacities : Some parts of the eye become too opaque to allow enough light to pass, such as it occurs in cataracts or in hyphema. In the latter case blood is gathered at the base of the iris or on the cornea generally resulting from an eye trauma. This does not allow a proper vision.
- Optic nerve diseases: Optic nerve diseases impede a correct transmission of visual signals. This is what happens in some diseases such as glaucoma, optic neuritis or ischemic optic neuropathy.
- Retina diseases: These are diseases affecting the retina, such as retinal detachment or central retinal artery occlusion.
- Lack of oxygen: It can cause a sudden vision loss which it is generally accompanied by other symptoms related to hypoxia, such a complete loss of consciousness (g-lock), loss of vision without losing consciousness (blackout) dimming vision, tunnel vision - loss of peripheral vision - or loss of color vision (brownout).
All these states respond to a decrease of blood supply to the brain such as it can happen to people suffering hypotension or when fighter planes pilots or astronauts are subjected to extremely g-forces.
Some people with other diseases can experience it simply by standing up.
- Diseases of the visual system: Any disease affecting the part of the central nervous system in charge of vision, including the eyes, the optic nerves, and some parts of the brain, such as the visual cortex. For example, a person can loose vision if he suffers a damage to the occipital lobe, although no damage can be observed in the eyes, retina or other parts of the visual system.
- Functional disorders: People say that they are experiencing loss of vision without real causes (hysterical or malingered causes)
Factors that favor vision loss development
Although not directly responsible for vision loss, some factors can favor it:
- Arteriosclerosis: Hardening of the blood vessels can cause poor circulation in the capillaries of the eye, worsening the disease.
- Bad eating habits: A poor diet, rich in animal fats can increase bad cholesterol levels and hinder the flow of blood to the visual system. Apart from this, similar effects can be produced by the ingestion of toxic substances such as tobacco or alcohol. A diet rich in natural foods, especially carotenoids such as lutein and zeaxanthin may help prevent it (More information about eyes diet in the listing above)
- Bad life habits: Sedentarism and the lack of exercise because of modern society working methods would be negative factors that could be harmful for vision health.
- Free Radicals: Poisonous environmental conditions, poor diet and oxidation of the body itself are the main cause of the appearance of free radicals. Visual system is one of the most sensitive organs to these toxins and probably the most affected one. In case of a degenerative process, elimination of excessive free radicals would slow the progression of this disease.
Diagnosis and treatment of vision loss
Any eye problem first requires a visit to a specialist who will provide you a diagnosis about it. This is especially required for retinal detachment or for glaucoma whose appropriate and quick treatment is needed to avoid the visual loss in the affected eye.
More information about vision loss and its natural treatment in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.