JACKFRUIT EDIBLE PROPERTIES
WHAT IS A JACKFRUIT
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit native to the jungles of India, which appears abundantly throughout Southeast Asia.
The jackfruit tree, jack tree, jak or jack (Artocarpus heterophyllus) is a large tree (over 20 m.) In Asian countries can be found planted in avenues, parks and gardens. As well as shade, it provides food.
It is the world's largest fruit, and some specimens can weigh 45 kg
Photography of jackfruits in a tropical country market, next to pineapples and bananas.
What flavor Jackfruit has?
The flesh is sweet and crunchy, it tastes between a banana and a pineapple.
How to prepare Jackfruits?
- For cutting it, it is necessary to grease the knife with oil to make it easier, because it contains a sticky resin that can make cutting difficult.
- Cut, remove the skin, the seeds and separate by segments.
- If the fruit is very ripe, it can be eaten raw or make juices, but it has a strong odor that usually does not like.
- The immature fruit (as they sell), must be cooked before eating.
- It is usually prepared boiled, you can fry or bake in the oven. In Asian countries it is cooked with coconut milk and curry.
- Jackfruit seeds can be roasted in a pan with salt and can serve as an appetizer. It also can be baked or boiled.
The immature fruit contains trypsin inhibitors. Trypsin is an enzyme that decomposes protein. If jackfruit is ingested raw, trypsin is inhibited, so that the body can not digest this food and suffers from stomach pain, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Fruit baking destroys the trypsin inhibitors and makes it edible.
Nutritional Value of Jackfruit
Jackfruit is a fundamental part of the Indian diet, which is known as " the fruit of the poor."
- It provides energy for its content on carbohydrates and vitamins. Carbohydrates are easily assimilated by the body, and it also contains high doses of niacin and thiamine, vitamin nutrition that allow nerve cells and muscle fibers.
- It is very low in fat, and contains antioxidants that help improve cardiovascular health and prevent poor circulation.
- It has laxative effect due to lignans and resin content.
- In cases of constipation, it may help normalize your intestines.
- It is very rich in potassium (323 mg. Per 100g.), One of the fruits with more potassium after bananas. Potassium helps maintain fluid balance in the body and to treat fluid retention.
- It is rich in calcium, and some varieties reach values of 72 mg. per 100g. That is, a higher calcium content than milk. It also contains other minerals such as magnesium, which are suitable for an alkalizing diet and adequate when osteoporosis or fibromyalgia.
|Nutritional composition of Jackfruit per 100g.|
|Vitamin C (mg.)||6,7|
|Folic acid (mcg.)||14|
|Vitamin A (mcg.) (Eq. retinol)||297|
|Vitamin E (mg.)||0,15|
More information about NATURAL REMEDIES in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.