CARBOHYDRATES FOR CHILDREN
What are carbohydrates?
legumes such as lentils are rich in carbohydrates
What are carbohydrates for?
Carbohydrates provide energy. Thanks to them, we get instant energy for the body what allows us to live and perform our daily work.
Carbohydrates are made up of glucose. Glucose is found in the blood and it is used by all cells for energy. They are a source of is slow and durable energy.
Therefore, carbohydrates are very important and we must include them in all meals.
Where do we get the carbs from?
Carbohydrates provide the energy needed to perform different daily activities
Most carbohydrates come from plant foods. They are very abundant in cereals such as rice, wheat or corn, and the food we get from them, such as bread, biscuits, breakfast cereals, pasta, etc..
Legumes are also rich in carbohydrates. Among them we have soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc.
Types of carbohydrates
Cereals, like rice, are rich in carbohydrates
Carbohydrates can be simple or complex. Simple carbohydrates or sugars are absorbed very quickly so, when you eat them, you do not feel so satiated as when you ingest complex carbohydrates that take longer to be absorbed.
It is important to eat more complex carbohydrates (whole grains, pasta, vegetables, starches etc.) than simple carbohydrates (sugar, refined or sugary foods, chocolate, cakes, etc.).
CPotatoes and sweet potatoes (or cassava) are rich in starch, a type of complex carbohydrates very convenient in our diet.
How many carbohydrates should we eat daily?
We required from 6 to 8 daily rations of carbohydrates.
Among the carbohydrates, we must eat cereals and legumes in every meal. We should vary its consumption daily.
Thus, these types of carbohydrates give us energy we need.
For children from 3 to 6 years the ration would be a little more than half of the portion of an adult.
For children from 7 to 8 years the ration would be about a third less than for an adult
For teens, the ration would be a third more than the ration of an adult.
Recommendations in carbohydrate intake
When eating foods rich in carbohydrates is recommended:
- Increase the whole carbohydrates, such as whole grain bread, pasta or rice.
- Reduce the refined products such as refined cereals or refined flour.
- Do not consume excessive amounts of simple carbohydrates, for example sugars.
- In the case of simple carbohydrates, preferably choose those food sources that, besides providing simple sugars, they also provide vitamins and minerals, such as fruits. Restrict "empty sugars " as candies.
- Carbohydrates are the main source of energy from food.
- It is important to eat 6 to 8 servings of carbohydrates daily.
- We must eat different carbohydrate-containing foods and choose whole food.
- Simple carbohydrates or sugars should be eaten in smaller quantities than the complex carbohydrates.
More information about nutrition in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.