DANGERS OF CLOVE
Is clove toxic?
No, clove (Eugenia caryophyllata) is not a toxic plant. It is safe when used at recommended doses.
It is considered a safe and FDA food. It is included in the list of safe foods GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe).
In high doses, the plant can produce adverse reactions, since its fruit is very rich in essential oils (15-20%).
Clove essential oil can be toxic to the nervous system (neurotoxic) and irritating to the skin and digestive mucous if taken in higher than recommended doses.
* More information on the side effects of clove in the listing above.
What are the components of clove?
- Essential oil (15-20%): It is very rich in eugenol (80-90%), eugenyl acetate (2-20%), caryophyllene (5-12%), pinene, acetyleugenol, and methyl- salicylate.
Eugenol provides many properties: powerful antiseptic, antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and carminative, enabling it to treat bad breath, toothache, stomach pain, gas, cramps, intestinal disorders and bellypain.
In high doses, eugenol is nervous system depressants, neurotoxic and irritating of the digestive mucous . For this reason it is not recommended in case of gastritis, digestive ulcer, pregnancy and lactation.
- Oleanolic acid: it is a component with antibacterial properties, gastroprotective and cardioprotective, which adds its effects to the properties of eugenol. However, oleanolic acid has abortifacient properties, so this component makes clove remedies contraindicated during pregnancy.
- Phytosterols: stigmasterol, sitosterol,
A woman showing some cloves in Sri Lanka
What is clove recommended dosage?
- As dry spice: 0.1 - 0.3g.
- Essential oil: 0.05 - 2ml.
Clove in pregnancy and lactation
- NO treatments can be made with clove during pregnancy and lactation.
* More information: Plants and pregnancy.
Is clove oil good for babies toothache?
Babies who are teething are often administered remedies for toothache with clove oil. This is a very dangerous treatment: Infants are more susceptible to the components of the nail and, if you exceed the dose, it can produce side effects to the nervous system.
More information on clove in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.