BENEFITS OF GRAPEFRUIT
What are grapefruits?
Grapefruits are the fruits of the tree called grapefruit (Citrus paradisi).
Grapefruits are quite similar to oranges, with a thicker and rougher skin. Their skin color is also similar although more yellowish and not so orange.
Grapefruit pulp is pink or yellow. It is and edible pulp with a fibrous texture.
It contains some some seeds inside the pulp.
What is grapefruit edible composition?
As an energy source, 100 grams of grapefruit give us 32 kilocalories.
Their proportion of nutrients is divided into:
- Over 90% is water.
- A 0.1%, fat.
- Close to 0.6%, protein.
- More than 8%, carbohydrate.
- A 1.1%, fiber.
Minerals and vitamins in grapefruits
Grapefruits are rich in potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and selenium, but they also contains minor amounts of iron, zinc, manganese and copper.
Grapefruits contain a lot of vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin B9, and small amounts of other B vitamins and vitamin E
Photo of grapefruit
Benefits of grapefruits
- Grapefruit has a very high water content that prevents us to become dehydrated.
- It is a poor source of fat and protein.
- It has a moderate carbohydrate content, specifically sugars.
- It has a low fiber content.
- It helps to remove toxins from our body, because it contains potassium.
- Because of calcium together with phosphorus, it maintains the balance of the formation of strong bones.
- Its magnesium content helps relax the muscles.
- It helps to maintain a proper brain function, because it contains phosphorus and B vitamins
- Because of its vitamin B9, it helps us grow properly.
- It protects the skin and helps keep it healthy, because it contains vitamin A.
- It protects us from colds and helps heal wounds, because of vitamin C.
- It protects us from toxins and aging, because it contains vitamin A, C and E and minerals selenium and zinc.
More information about other foods and nutrition in the listing above
|* Related: More information about grapefruit|
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.