How to cook vegetables
COOKING VEGETABLES TIPS
How to cook your vegetables properly?
One should take into account the following tips:
- Use, unless they are in poor condition, the outer greener leaves which are the ones with more vitamins and chlorophyll. If they have black spots, they are faded or they present symptoms of diseases, discard them
- Wash them just before cooking. Do not use hot water. Wash with tap water at room temperature.
- Put them into the container when the water is boiling. If cold water is poured while cooking, vegetables turn black due to oxidation.
- If you are dealing with green leafy vegetables, do not cover the pan so as not to spoil the vitamins that are very sensitive to high heat and chlorophyll. In the event that these have a white color, such as it happens with thistles, the pot will be covered.
- Do not cook for too long, because in doing so, you will break down vitamins and flavor will be lost. In addition, overcooked vegetables are very flabby.
To maintain the hardness of the vegetables, a little salt should be added to the cooking water, except when it is not convenient for people who are going to eat them to add sodium, specially for people with fluid retention, kidney problems or hypertension. (See cooking time for vegetables)
- Once cooked, remove them from heat and cool with tap water to remove salt and the heat does not continue spoiling the vitamins
More information about vegetables in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.