Dangers of lavender
Can lavender be toxic?
In therapeutic doses preparations of lavender essential oil generally show no contraindications. (2-4 drops 2 to 3 times daily, diluted in water, oils or sugar)
Used in higher doses is toxic and can be fatal.
What are the symptoms of poisoning lavender essential oil?
The first manifestations are excitation of the central nervous system with possible hallucinations to move to a depressive phase in which narcotic effects tke place. In this stage increased heart rate and respiratory parameters) occurs.
At doses above 1 g, essential oil produces general anaesthesia.
Lavender essential oil should never be used directly on the skin. This must be diluted with water or other oils.
Why can lavender be toxic?
Lavender essential oil is toxic because it has a number of toxic components. Among the harmful substances, we include the following:
- Camphor: emetic, irritant, convulsive
- Coumarins: narcotic, emetic
- Camphene: spasmolytic
- caryophyllene: allergenic
- Myrcene: irritating
- Beta-pinene, alpha-pinene, alpha-terpinene: spasmolytic, irritating
- Beta-thujone: abortive
- Beta-bisoboleno: abortifacient
- Furfural: irritating
- Limonene: photosensitizer, irritating
- Geraniol: emetic, central nervous system stimulant
- Borneol: Toxic and stimulant of the central nervous system.
* Related information:
More information on lavender in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.