Macadamia nuts nutrition facts
MACADAMIA NUTS EDIBLE PROPERTIES
What are macadamia nuts?
Macadamia nuts or Australian nuts are nuts that are consumed in the diet, especially in the gourmet dishes, or sometimes as a snack.
This nut is spherical, white or cream, has creamy texture and its size is between 2.5 and 3.5cm. in diameter.
In the market we find two types of macadamia nuts, although they are not usually distinguished. Both are the seeds of two evergreen trees of the Proteaceae family, native to Australia: Macadamia integrifolia and Macadamia tetraphylla.
Generally, Macadamia integrifolia is the most widespread crop in trade.
The macadamia nut is not related botanically with hickory nut, but they only share a common name or designation. The same happens with pecans (Carya illinoinensis) and Brazil nuts (Bertholletia excelsa).
Photo of macadamia nuts
What flavor are macadamia nuts and how are they cooked?
Macadamia nut is considered a selected fruit due to its sensory quality. Its flavor is reminiscent of coconut and roasted nut, having a very nice, creamy, smooth and slightly mealy texture.
Macadamia nuts combine with savory and sweet dishes:
- In savory recipes, macadamia nuts are ground to more or less thick pieces, and added to pasta dishes, vegetables, creamed vegetables, stir fries, wok or rice. It brings a crispy, tasty and creamy touch to dshes to which macadamia provides an exquisite flavor.
Or simply, it is fried or roasted in the pan with a little salt, and taken as a salty nut.
You can also develop macadamia meal and prepare with it delicious sauces.
Macadamia nuts combine with many sweet desserts. It can appear with other nuts as musician desserts, or added to cakes, cupcakes, cookies, chocolate, truffles, candies, crackers, ice cream, fruit smoothies with cinnamon or vanilla, whole and chocolate coated caramel, etc.
Photography of raw macadamia nuts as sold in stores.
Nutritional value of macadamia
Macadamia nuts are a high-energy food that provide mainly fat, followed by carbohydrates and proteins.
These calories are suitable for a diet for athletes, children or persons engaged in much physical activity during the day.
Macadamia nuts, therefore, have all the benefits of Omega 9, helping reduce cholesterol and improve cardiovascular health.
Macadamia nuts also contain high amounts of palmitoleic and arachidic acid, a type of fat that can increase bad cholesterol when consumed in excess.
Macadamia nut contains no gluten, so it is suitable for people with allergies to gluten.
A balanced ration of this fruit is considered the equivalent of 25 grams of macadamia nuts (5-7 units).
Photography of different types of macadamia nuts that can be found in: cocktails, savory, spicy, chocolate, caramel or honey and salt.
Contraindications of macadamia
- Because of its high fat content, it should be taken in moderation, especially when it comes to people with cholesterol, triglycerides or heart disease.
- People with stomach problems or slow digestion, should be aware that macadamia nuts can be heavy on the stomach and difficult to digest. Its high fat delays gastric emptying and makes food stay longer in the stomach.
Products with macadamia nuts
- Whole nuts: they are the whole seeds, that are taken as a dry fruit as it has been discussed above. It is one of the nuts most high in fat, so its energy value is considerable.
Whole nuts can be presented in different formats: salty, sweet, sugared (with caramel), spicy cocktails in mixtures with other nuts, etc.. All varieties are sold in bulk at specialty stores, or can be made at home.
- Macadamia flour: It is a product which results from the milling of macadamia nuts. It is recommended to work out at home, with the help of a blender just before using. If purchased, its shelf life is short and lose flavor with storage time. In stores you will find the name of macadamia flour (or macadamia meal).
- Ice Cream: ice cream is made with whole macadamia nuts or macadamia flour. They can be purchased in gourmet ice cream premises, or you can prepare it at home. It's a refreshing ice cream, energy, nutritious and delicious.
- Macadamia nut oil: obtained from the cold pressing of the seeds. It has an aroma that can remind us the sesame oil. Like macadamia fruits, it is rich in monounsaturated fats and appreciated especially in haute cuisine and cosmetics. Its price is more expensive than other vegetable oils, because of their low production cost.
- Cosmetics: macadamia oil is used to make cosmetics, shampoos, conditioners, creams, masks, lotions, etc.
Where to buy macadamia nuts?
Macadamia nuts can be found in gourmet shops, nuts stores, markets, shops specialized in nutrition, large supermarkets or even in some bakeries.
If they are not in the usual outlets, they can be purchased at on-line shops.
Photo of macadamia ice-cream
How much do macadamia nuts cost?
Macadamia nuts are an expensive product because Macadamia tree is very slow-growing, so it can take over 10 years to be productive.
This is one of the reasons why these fruits are usually reserved for selected recipes.
The price ranges from 20-40 � / kg., Depending on the quality of the product. Sold in bulk or in bags of 100 - 200g.
|COMPOSITION OF MACADAMIA NUTS PER SERVING
Market and macadamia nut consumption
- The leading consumers of macadamia nuts are Germany, the USA and Japan.
- According to the FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization), 60% of world production of macadamia nuts is intended for industrial processes, and only 40% is consumed whole.
More information on macadamia nuts in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.