Recommended dose of magnesium
RECOMMENDED DAILY DOSE OF MAGNESIUM
How much magnesium do we needed?
The necessary doses of this mineral in adults are between 310 and 420 mg daily, although specialists are recommending that this amount should be above 500 mg daily. The table on the right shows the need for this mineral at different ages, sex or situations:
When more magnesium may be needed? Special magnesium needs
There are certain situations in which a magnesium deficiency can be produced:
- When taking diuretics (chemical or natural) in abundance, which increases urine production and disposal in excess of this element.
- When having persistent or abundant diarrhea.
- When having persistent or abundant vomits.
- When ingesting too much alcohol. This causes poor absorption of magnesium or other nutrients from food.
- When the person is diabetic, a disease that produces lost of magnesium by the urine.
- When suffering from kidney disease.
Daily magnesium needs
|Recommended amount of magnesium in mg (milligrams)|
|Less than 5 months||30|
|Of 6 months to 1 year||75|
|Of 1 to 3 years||80|
|Of 4 to 6 years||120|
|6 to 8 years||130|
|9 to 13 years||240|
|Children from 14 to 18||410|
|Children from 14 to 18||360|
|Men of 19 to 30 years||400|
|Men of more than 30 years||420|
|Women from 19 to 30||310|
|Women of more than 31||320|
|Pregnant women under 19 years||400|
|Pregnant women between 19 and 30 years||350|
|Pregnant women older than 30 years||360|
|Nursing women under 19 years||360|
|Nursing women between 19 and 30 years||310|
|Nursing women older than 30 years||320|
Toxicity of magnesium. Dangers of magnesium
It is not advisable to abuse this mineral because, in high doses, it is toxic, manifesting itself in the form of mental stupidity, weakness in muscles or problems of breathing.
- Do not take magnesium supplements if you have kidney problems, congestive heart abnormalities or are taking any medications. Its use in combination with certain antibiotics (tetracycline) inhibits their effectiveness.
- Certain components block the absorption of magnesium: Excessive calcium ingestion, oxalates rich foods (spinach, rhubarb, amaranth or wormseed), the alcohol ingestion, foods very rich in fiber, like bran.
- Magnesium, when it is taken in the form of supplements, needs calcium so that both minerals are complemented and work well.
More information on magnesium in the listing above.
|Calcium, chlorine, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium||Copper, chromium, fluorine, iron, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, iodine, zinc.|
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.