CONTRAINDICATIONS OF MATE
WHEN IS MATE CONTRAINDICATED?
What is mate?
Mate, cimarron or Paraguay tea (Ilex paraguariensis) is an evergreen tree native to South America, whose leaves are consumed as a stimulating tea.
Its use is not toxic, but it can cause some side effects depending on individual tolerance to caffeine. Some of these side effects include: insomnia, nervousness, upset stomach, restlessness, heartburn, headache or heart palpitations.
* More information on mate side effects in the listing above.
Photo of mate such as
it is traditionally consumed
What contraindications does mate have?
- Pregnancy and lactation: It is recommended to avoid caffeine consumption during pregnancy and in infancy, since small amounts reach the fetus. Although the amount of caffeine that gets into breast milk and the baby is insufficient to cause harm, it is not recommended for consumption. In general, pregnant women should not exceed 200mg. of caffeine per day (2 cups of coffee or 2 cups of mate).
* More information: Plants and pregnancy.
- Combination with foods high in caffeine: mate consumption should be considered with other caffeine-rich foods to prevent adverse effects. Do not consume more than 300mg. of caffeine per 24 hours. * See: Caffeine content of beverages.
- Antidepressant: mate can inhibit or enhance the effect of certain medications such as anti-anxiety medications, antidepressants, antihypertensive medications, MAO inhibitor drugs.
- Nervousness: anxiety, insomnia, neuralgia of musculoskeletal origin, temporary neuritis and brain painful disorders of radicular origin. This supplement has direct effect on the brain, so that people who suffer some nerve disorder should always consult their doctor before supplementing their diet with mate.
- Migraine: mate can increase the symptoms of migraine even in low doses in some people sensitive to the effects of caffeine.
- Hyperactive children under 12 can increase the excited state by the effects of caffeine in mate.
- Diabetes: Recent studies suggest that this tea may have hypoglycemic effects. Check your blood sugar levels after drinking mate.
- Glaucoma: mate can cause hypertension and increase too much the pressure inside the eye. Caffeine is not recommended in this case.
- No adverse effects have been reported on the ability to drive and use machines.
More information on mate in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.