Malagueta pepper properties
MALAGUETTA PEPPER PROPERTIES
Medicinal properties grains of paradise
- Modern scientific studies show that grains of Paradise are an effective aphrodisiac remedy, increasing sexual desire.
- Formerly the malaguetta pepper roots were used in poultices to treat female disorders.
- The seeds were formerly used as an stimulant and were a remedy for dysentery. Along with other medicinal plants, it has been used as a remedy for cholera and toothache.
- Extracts obtained from the stem have been shown effective against tapeworms.
GRAINS OF PARADISE IN FOOD
- The Grains of Paradise traders recommend using this spice with black pepper Malagueta pepper adds a different flavor to dishes with fresh notes of a flavor reminiscent of ginger. You can mix them in a grinder and add the final preparations for possessing more aroma.
- It can be combined with vegetable protein (seitan, tempeh, tofu), veggie burgers, vegetables, main dishes like quinoa, buckwheat, legumes and rice recipes especially exotic.
- It can also be used in meat, fish and seafood as if it were black pepper.
- There is a story that relates the use of this spice as a substitute for pepper (Piper nigrum) in Europe.
- In Morocco it is used in the spice mixture Ras el hanout.
- Apart from its use as spice, it is used to make wine, beer, spirits and vinegar.
- This type of pepper was one of the ingredients of the popular drink Hippocras, a spiced wine produced in Britain during the XIV and XV. However, when it fell into disuse during the reign of George III (1738 - 1820) Grain of Paradise for process of brewing was banned.
- In Scandinavia Akavit is used as aroma, a spirited drink produced in Scandinavia from XV century.
- Currently the consumption of grains of Paradise is still common in Ghana and Nigeria.
Other uses for malaguetta pepper
- Essential oils extracted from malaguetta seeds are used in the perfume industry.
More information about malaguetta pepper and other types of peppers in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.