Medicinal plants for sciatica
HOW TO REMEDY SCIATICA
Phytoteraphy. Medicinal plants for sciatica
The use of herbal medicine focuses on using those plants with a dual purpose:
- Suitable plants to reduce swellling of the affected area
- Plants that can remove toxins.
- Plants to soothe pain.
Herbal preparations for internal use for sciatica
Among the many plants that can be used, we will point out the following:
- Willow (Salix sp.) Due to its high content in salicin, principle of aspirin. (Decoction of a pinch (2 g.) of dried bark per cup of water. Take two or three cups a day. Children from 4 to 10 years half dose) Do not take if allergic to aspirin. Prolonged use of it can irritate the stomach.
- St. John's wort: (Hyperycum perforatum) It is a good remedy for sore body especially those caused by rheumatism, gout, arthritis, sciatica, low back pain... etc (Infusion of a flowering tops teaspoon in a cup of water a couple of times daily) (Phototoxic plant. Consult contraindications)
- Diuretic plants: They increase urine output level what removes toxins. Very useful in cases where sciatica originates in a problem of rheumatism.
(Consult the list of diuretic plants)
Sciatic remedies for external use
- Cabbage (Brassica oleracea) Apply a pair of hot cabbage leaves on the affected area.
Hot cabbage leaves are placed on the painful area
- Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana): Apply a lotion on the painful area with white radish juice. It can be counterproductive in certain people sensitive to this plant. Try this remedy for a short time. Never kept on site for more than 20 minutes.
- Mustard (Brassica nigra): Make a poultice of mustard sedds and apply to the affected area. This preparation is rubefacient, so it will produce a reddening of the area with the consequent increase of heat. Do Not kept on the skin for more than 20 minutes.
- Verbena (Verbena officinalis) (Crush the fresh leaves and apply a poultice on the painful area). (You can get a higher anti-inflammatory power from boiling leaves in oil for about 10 minutes. Let it cool and apply on the affected area as a poultice) (Boil a handful of leaves in vinegar. Let the vinegar evaporate. Place the leaves on a hot gauze, wrap them and apply to the painful area)
- Nettle (Urtica dioica) Taking a bath where a liter of nettle infusion has been added relaxes the sciatic nerve and reduces pain. Another, even more effective, or more drastic solution is to apply through the painful area a sprig of fresh nettle.
The stinging principles will produce a reaction in the body whic will mask sciatic pain, and will decrease and nullify the pain of the affected area after a few days.
The application must be done very carefully a couple of times a day on the legs and arms. To reduce the irritant effect, you can sprinkle talcum powder on the area of application.
Nettle leaves and flowers
SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES FOR SCIATICA
- The application of heat in the affected area decreases pain. Apply a hot water bottle on it.
Alternative therapies for the treatment of sciatica
In addition to herbal medicine and home remedies, request a consultation with a specialist of the following natural therapies:
More information on sciatica and pain remedies in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.