Contraindications of yam
Whom is yam contraindicated for?
- Pregnant and breast-feeding women: Because of its estrogenic effect, the use of supplements with wild yam (Dioscorea villosa) is not considered safe for pregnant women and during lactation. Their use could cause miscarriage or be dangerous for the mother.
* More information: Plants and pregnancy.
- Children under 12 years should not be given with wild yam supplements. Consult your pediatrician before administering such remedies.
Homeopathic remedies for kids can be suitable for kids, under the advice of the qualified specialist.
- High doses of wild yam are contraindicated. Do not exceed the dose scheduled by the specialist.
- Diabetes: there are not enough studies on the effects of wild yam on blood sugar levels. It is known that the African yam (Dioscorea dumentorum) has a type of saponin (dioscoretine) that affects the regulation of sugar. Consult your doctor before taking this type of remedy if you are suffering from diabetes.
* More information: Plants for Diabetes.
- Drugs for cholesterol: wild yam can enhance the effect of drugs for cholesterol, which can cause unwanted effects. You should talk to your doctor before taking supplements of yam.
- Anticoagulants: diosgenin can affect the effect of anticoagulant drugs, increasing the risk of bleeding. Consult your doctor before taking wild yam.
- Oral contraceptives and hormone therapies: You should consult with your doctor before taking supplements with wild yam.
- Sensitivity to hormones: wild yam can have estrogenic effect. It should not to be taken by persons with breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis or uterine fibroids.
More information about yam in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.