Salvia pratensis L.
PROPERTIES OF MEADOW CLARY
The plant © Dibujosparapintar.com
Common noun: Meadow clary, Meadow sage
Scientific noun: Salvia pratensis L.
Family: Mint family - Lamiaceae
Habitat: By the roads and grasslands.
Characteristics of meadow clary
Perennial herb up to 1 m.tall. Erect, hairy stems, glandular. Leaves generally basal, toothed or lobed, wrinkled. The upper leaves scarce and unstalked. Blue-purple flowers in loose spikes, seldom white. Corolla 3 cm. with curved upper lip, glandular calyx and very long style.
Picking and storing meadow clary
Leaves can be collected from Spring to mid Summer. Flowers when they are in full bloom in Spring.
Both of them should be dried in a dark spot and be kept in a dry and airtight container.
PROPERTIES OF MEADOW SAGE
Meadow sage medicinal plant
In general it has the same vulnerary properties than Salvia verbenaca.
- Bactericidal: (Against any kind the breathing diseases: sore throat, influenza, etc.) Boil a spoonful of dry leaves and flowers per cup. Two cups each day. Gargles with the same boiling.
- Cicatrizant and bactericidal: (ulcers and wounds) To heal the ulcers and wounds, supporting the cicatrization and preventing wounds to become infected. Compresses with the maceration of dry leaves in white wine or the green plant applied directly on the wound.
More particular uses of the present plant are the following:
- Stomachic: For those who usually have a heavy feeling in their stomachs, stomachache, gastritis, hiatal hernia, it is a good remedy to have a couple of glasses every day, containing the maceration of dry leaves in red wine.
- Hair lotion: by adding a little juice of the green plant to the hair while cleaning it, besides fortifying it, it will give it a shining dark appearance
- Anti-asthmatical: In some places of the Hispano- American community it is said that cigarettes are produces from the leaves of this plant to soothe asthma.
More information about natural medicine in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.