Plants for the liver. Remedies for hepatic insufficiency
Natural medicine for Hepatic Insufficiency or liver failure
HOME REMEDIES FOR LIVER INSUFFICIENCY
Characteristics of hepatic insufficiency
Hepatic insufficiency or liver failure is a state of the liver in which this organ is unable to fulfill its normal functions.
Not properly treated, the filtering function of the liver is impaired, so a lot of waste products can accumulate in blood and can lead to a hepatic coma.
Symptoms of hepatic insufficiency
The following symptoms can easily appear: dark urine, jaundice, or yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes, muscle aches, headache, small urinary output (oliguria) that conveys to a general body swelling from fluid accumulation and specially to an accumulation of fluids in the cavity of the abdomen (ascites), slow digestion.
Bad digestion of food can lead to malnutrition or anemia.
Some endocrine changes can take place, such as spider naevi, palmar erythema, testicular atrophy,, lost of body hair,, menstrual disorders, bad breath, etc.
Among the mental disorders, we can point out: confusion, disorientation, unmindfulness, etc.
Causes of hepatic insufficiency
There are some causes that can produce or predispose to hepatic insufficiency. For example;
- Occlusion of the hepatic veins (Chiari's syndrome) or occlusion of arterial blood supply to the liver.
- Unhealthy diet.
- Microbial infections, such as syphilis
- Lack of exercise.
- Other diseases.
Diagnosis and treatment of hepatic insufficiency
Hepatic insufficiencies are very common. Your doctor has to perform the necessary analysis, to discard other serious problems, such as cirrhosis or cancer. High level of transaminases are generally considered a symptom of liver failure.
Natural remedies to treat hepatic insufficiency
Some natural remedies could be used as an aid to conventional treatment. Among all of them, we could point out the following:
NATURAL CONTROLLED DIET FOR LIVER FAILURE
A change in diet should be taken in order to stop further damage to the liver. In the first place, you should stop drinking wine or any spirit, at least until the tests are normal.
- Non suitable food for liver failure
You should not eat fried foods, sauces or high-fat bakery products, such as pastries, croissants, cookies, candy, sweets, etc. Instead of all this type of food, it is advisable to use primarily a plant-based diet.
A diet with little sodium and diuretic foods is generally beneficial to treat small urinary output and general body swelling from fluid accumulation
- Related information: Bad food for the liver
- Suitable food for liver failure
In general, vegetables, especially fresh ones, are best suited to detoxify the liver, but there are some that are not appropriate and which should be avoided, such as cabbages of any variety; spinach and cucumbers.
PHYTOTHERAPY: Herbal remedies for liver insufficiency
Appropriate plants for liver failure are:
- Dandelion, (Taraxacum officinale Weber): It is a good stimulant for liver and biliary function and it is very useful for hepatitis. (Decoction of 100 gr. of its roots in a litter of water. Take three cups a day)
- Dragon fruit (Hylocereus undatus) Pitahaya contains a lot of antioxidant components that protect the liver from peroxidation of fats
- Agave (Agave americana) Agave helps the liver work better. (Two teaspoons of powder of dried leaves a day, dissolved in water or juice.
- Milk thistle (Silybum Marianum): To cure liver congestion use the roots and stalks and the juice of crushed leaves to the desired proportion.
- Chicory (Cichorium intybus) (maceration for a couple of weeks of 35 gr. of crushed dried root in a liter of white wine from Jerez (sherry). A daily glass divided into several tablespoons a day)
- Watercress: (Nasturtium officinale) Watercress help cleanse the liver and facilitate its recovery. (Eat fresh plant in salads)
- Vanilla (Vanilla planifolia) Vanilla has strengthening effect and stimulates digestive functions (Use vanilla as a food spice)
Vanilla pod, the part of the plant used as spice.
- Guanabana (Annona muricata) Soursop leaf has hepatoprotective effect and shows improvements in many diseases of this organ
- Birch: (White Betula L.) (Infusion of a teaspoon of dried leaves per cup of water. Take a cup after each main meal)
- Gentian (Gentiana lutea) Gentian can be used for liver failure in helping the body to work under better conditions. (Maceration at 0, 2% of gentian root for a couple of days. Drain well and dissolve 400 gr. of honey. Drink a couple of little cups a day)
- Linden: (Tilia sp.) choleretic and cholagogue properties of linden bark are effective in cases of liver failure. (Take syrup prepared or tincture sold in pharmacies under the terms of patient's leaflet)
Mixed infusions: A good way to combine the beneficial effects of the first three plants. So, we can take three mixed infusions of dandelion and artichoke leaves in the morning with one teaspoon olive oil.
More information on liver diseases in the listing above
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.