- Epstein-Barr virus (mononucleosis or " kissing disease")
- Bacterial Pharyngitis: This is produced primarily by bacteria, specially form the group A streptococcus. Among this type of pharyngitis we include:
- Strep throat: - The most common bacterial type of pharyngitis is strep throat, that mainly affects children of school age who are infected by contact with saliva or mucus of infected people . It requires appropriate treatment to prevent the possible occurrence of rheumatic fever, which can affect the heart valves or kidneys.
- Gonococcal pharyngitis: It is is caused by the bacterium of gonorrhea (Neisseria gonorrhoeae) Produced by infection through oral-genital sex with an infected person.
- Noninfectious pharyngitis: It is the type of pharyngitis that is produced by allergic reasons (allergies, difficulty breathing through the nose) or environmental reasons (smoking , very dry environments, irritants in the throat)
Symptoms of pharyngitis
In depends of the type of pharyngitis. The most common ones are:
- In viral pharyngitis caused by cold virus and flu virus: Sore throat, cough, irritation, difficulty swallowing, tonsillitis, fever, runny nose, swollen glands in the neck, etc.
- In the pharyngitis caused by herpangina: Blisters in the mouth or throat with subsequent ulceration, difficulty swallowing, anorexia, headache, high fever, pain in limbs and neck, or vomiting. Unlike the previous one, it usually occurs in summer or autumn and mainly affects children.
- In strep throat amygdalitis: High fever, chills, vomiting, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, headache, neck ache, vomiting mucus, diarrhea and other symptoms similar to flu or cold.
- In gonococcal pharyngitis: This is often asymptomatic or with symptoms similar to a mild cold. When a generalized infection takes place (Gonococcemia disseminated) it can cause pain in the testicles and the prostate in men and inflammation in the pelvis in women.
- In the "kissing disease (mononucleosis) The symptoms are similar to common cold while the pain in the pharynx is more intense and glands in the neck or armpit may be very swollen. Spleen or liver can be swollen too, and skin rash is very common.
- In noninfectious pharyngitis: The most prominent symptom is sore throat, which generally appears dry and red.
Causes of pharyngitis
- Viralcauses: More often than not diseases of the throat are caused by viruses such as influenza, cold, AIDS, etc. This type of pharyngitis covers almost 95% of cases.
- Bacterialcauses : A much more serious type of pharyngitis which is produced by bacterial infection. (strep throat). This is caused by streptococcal pharyngitis that causes high fever and can cause severe health outcomes such as kidney failure, blood infection or streptococcal shock
- Environmental causes: Work environment polluted by smoke, dust, etc.
- Too much effort for the vocal cords: Screaming , speaking too much, singing are different causes of pharyngitis as a result of too much stress for the vocal cords.
Diagnosis and treatment of pharyngitis
Faced with possible symptoms of pharyngitis, medical intervention is necessary to diagnose its cause and its more convenient treatment.
Pharyngitis caused by microorganisms are contagious and they require treatment with antibiotics.
Assuming they have a viral origin, antibiotics are ineffective. The usual treatment is the administration of analgesics generally accompanied by a period of rest, intake of plenty of fluids and gargles with the appropriate remedies.
When it comes to non-infectious pharyngitis, causes that produce it must be solved for it to disappear.
Natural treatment of pharyngitis involves using a series of natural resources that help to prevent or remedy it .