(Arctostaphylos uva-ursi Sprengel)
ADVERSE EFFECTS OF BEARBERRIES
What are the side effects of bearberry?
– Dermatitis: bearberry may cause dermatitis or irritation by direct contact with the skin.
– Allergy: Some people may be allergic to this plant.
– Urine brownish-green: this plant can discolor urine with a brownish-green color due to the oxidation of hydroquinone it contains.
– Bellyache: overdose can produce belly pains as a side effect.
– Digestive disorders: if you exceed the recommended dose, it may cause gastrointestinal disturbances such as nausea and vomiting. The poisoning is characterized by tinnitus, difficult breathing and convulsions.
– Constipation: Because of its tannin content with astringent properties, bearberry treatments can aggravate constipation.
– Hepatic impairment: long treatments with this plant (more than 7 days) are contraindicated, since tannins can impair liver in the long-term.
Photo of bearberry
More information about bearberry.
19 March, 2019