- 1 Health benefits of lemon tree (Citrus X limon (L.) Burm)
- 2 MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF LEMON
- 3 EDIBLE PROPERTIES OF LEMON
Health benefits of lemon tree (Citrus X limon (L.) Burm)
Common noun: Lemon tree
Scientific noun: Citrus X limon (L.) Burm., Citrus limonum Risso.
Family: Citrus family- Rutaceae
Habitat: Cultivated because of its fruits and as a garden tree in warm Mediterranean places next to the sea. It probably descends from the species ” Citrus medica L. “, native from India.
Characteristics of lemon tree
Perennial tree of the Citrus family – rutaceae- up to 3 m. Toothed, elliptical or lanceolate leaves, pointed. Flowers white inside, rosy at the margin of the petals. The fruit is a hesperidium till 12,5 cm. wide, with a thick rind, dark yellow when fully ripe.
Composition: Active components of lemon tree
The main components are:
- Flavonoids: hesperidoside, limocitrin in the pericarp of the Spanish lemons.
- Acids: Ascorbic (vitamin C), citric; caffeic (fruit)
- Essential oil: rich in isopulegol, alpha-bergamotene, alpha- pinene, alpha- terpinene, alpha- thujene, beta- bisolobene, beta- bergamotene, beta- phelandrene, citral, limonene and sabinene, (in the fruit, specially in lemons from California)
- Caffeine (leaves, flowers)
- Minerals: potassium and calcium.
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF LEMON
- Digestive tract: With intestines too much prone to defecation, it is very useful to stop diarrhoea. It has got anti-ulceric properties offered by beta- bisolobene and it also eliminates gastric acidity. Very suitable for hepatic insufficiency or jaundice, by stimulating the liver (Drink lemon juice at will) (With digestive disorders an infusion can be prepared with the maceration of lemon rind in alcohol 80 %. Take about 5 gr. a day)
- Pinworms: Lemon seeds, crushed and boiled in milk, can kill threadworms when taken with an empty stomach. (Mash half a tablespoon of lemon seeds – about 10 – for children and a tablespoon for adults. Boil them in a glass of milk. Strain and drink a glass a day for 3 or 4 days.)
- Antiescorbutic and vitaminic: Very rich in vitamin C, reason why it’s got fantastic antiescorbutic properties, with a high content in potassium and calcium. Its potential to regenerate white corpuscles, makes it very desirable to strengthen body defences, preventing many diseases to appear.
- Antimigraine: By constraining the pericraneal blood vessels, caffeine, besides being a stimulant, relieves headache, resulting specially interesting with migraine. Caffeine is a component which appears in this plant with a high proportion and can also be found in the greatest proportion in tea and other plants as cocoa (Theobroma cacao L), cola (Cola acuminata), and coffee (Coffea arabica L.) and in the flowers or leaves of some citrics, such as the orange (Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck).
- Depurative: Ascorbic-acid and lemonene confer it depurative properties, so that it is an excellent remedy against rheumatism, arthrosis, arthritis, gout, cholesterol, arteriosclerosis and uric acid.
To combat these diseases it is very useful the lemon diet which consists in drinking the juice of a lemon diluted in water. Increase progressively the dose by adding a daily lemon till reaching 11 or 12. Revers the process till one daily lemon.
Its depurative properties can be used to treat acne. (Take the fresh juice of the plant at will)
- Sedative: Lemon juice combined with a couple of tablespoons of honey mixed in warm water before bedtime can help fall asleep. This is a good treatment against insomnia.
- Respiratory tract diseases: In respiratory affections, the essential oil components confer it antibacterial and expectorant properties, very useful to heal colds. Alpha- pinene is an anti-influenza component so that it is very adequate to drink lemon juice when having this disease. It is also very useful to appease thirst and remove fever.
Although vitamin C does not cure flu or common cold, it can relieve their symptoms and reduce their duration. Citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, grapefruits, limes, mandarines, etc.) are good sources of this vitamin.
- Circulatory system diseases: Besides being a good cardiac tonic, it helps in blood circulation, prevents cholesterol, decreases hypertension and combats arteriosclerosis, angina pectoris or heart attack. It also stimulates the formation of red corpuscles, being very fitting in anemia.
- Diuretic: Because the stimulation power of caffeine and the ascorbic acid, it can be used as a diuretic in obesity treatment, by increasing micturition which will get rid of undesirable water. Lemons, oranges, grapefruits, limes and other citrus contain a high amount of citric acid. It has been proved that this acid is able to dissolve little kidney stones or prevent their formation.
Eating this type of fruit protect us against forming new kidney stones. (Drink lemon juice at will) This will also be a preventive remedy to avoid gallbladder inflammation.
Lemon for cancer
- Anticancerigenous: The main components of essential oil, previously possess anticancerigenous and antitumoral properties, preventing the formation of cancerous cells and helping the body not to develop metastasis once the disease has appeared. Lemon juice has been recognised as a good antioxidant and alkalinising, so it contributes to reestablish cell equilibrium.
Lemon has very prominent antibacterial components, moreover, lemon and ginger, served piping hot, help thinning your sinuses and reduce fever, especially if you add a spoonful of honey.