- 1 Properties, contraindications and uses of lemon essential oil
Properties, contraindications and uses of lemon essential oil
CHARACTERISTICS OF LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
What is lemon essential oil?
It is the oil that is extracted by means of cold pression from lemon fruit rind. It has got a fresh and cheerful citrus fragance.
It is ideal to give a fresh touch to the compositions of aromatherapy formulas.
Where is lemon essential oil produced?
The best essential oil of lemon comes from Sicily, although this tree is also cultivated mainly in Spain, California, Florida and Israel.
Properties of lemon essential oil
The main benefits of this oil are:
- Stimulator of the lymphatic system.
Main uses of lemon essential oil
- Detoxifying: Lemon essential oil detoxifies the body and helps lymphatic drainage, refreshes the mind and facilitates concentration. Useful for the treatment of jaundice or rheumatism.
- Skin: It is used to make masks, cleansing creams or skin care creams, especially creams for oily skin.
- Because of its content in alpha terpineol and ascorbic acid, lemon essential oil has well-recognized properties as vulnerary in the healing of sores or wounds or insect stings. (We can use the essence diluted in water for the same purpose)
Toxicity and contraindications of lemon essential oil
- It must not be used in internal use
- Never use it without diluting
- It is photosensitive, that is to say our skin reacts to high solar radiation if we have applied this oil, which means that exposure to the sun or to the sunrays should avoided for 12 hours after its application.
- It is irritating to the skin.
- It must not be used during pregnancy or breasfeeding.
- It must not be used by babies and children.
- Some people can be allergic to this oil
More information on other essential oils and lemon
26 November, 2019