How to prevent or treat bloating?
Flatulence produces bloating. To prevent excessive gas in the intestines we should take into account a number of tips:
– Avoid or reduce dairy products: People with lactose intolerance are unable to digest milk well because they have low lactase levels, an enzyme needed to digest this food. People with this disorder should avoid milk or its derivatives, except yogurt that can be eaten in small quantities.
In the rest of the people who do not have this food intolerance, drinking milk often also produces them gases, so they should decrease the amount of milk or dairy products or mix them with other foods.
People in general should lower milk intake to test whether this food is responsible for flatulence.
– Take into account flatulent food: There are certain foods which generate flatulence. For example, legumes in general and especially dry beans and broad beans produce a lot of flatus. There are also other foods such cabbage and all the cabbage family that can cause bloating.
A decrease in the proportion of these foods in the diet or an adequate preparation in the kitchen combining them with more suitable foods or antiflatulent herbs can reduce the level of gases. (More information about ” Diet for flatulence in the listing above)
– Reduce gas beverages: Drinking beverages such as lemonade, beer, soda water, etc. means increasing the level of gases that are responsible for bloating.
– Reduce drinks with caffeine: Some drinks rich in caffeine such as coffee, tea or colas cause flatulence as a result of colon irritation.
– Take into account fiber intake : Fiber is necessary for good intestinal peristalsis. Fiber, apart from helping the body to evacuate faeces, has many other properties for the good health of the body. However, a high intake of this principle in people who are not accustomed, or in those who do not accompany the fiber intake with a high amount of water, can promote the emergence of gases.
– Monitor sweeteners: Some sweeteners, like sorbitol, are responsible for producing a large amount of intestinal bloating. These sweeteners are sugar substitutes and they appear in many soft drinks or chewing gums. A person with a tendency to suffer from flatulence should reduce the intake of this type of products and check out whether his or her level of gases decreases.
– Fleeing sedentarism: Lack of physical exercise or remaining seated for long periods can cause the accumulation of gases in the colon. A moderate exercise, adequate to the possibilities of each person, helps to expel excess gases and avoid bloating.
– Use massage techniques: Circular massages on the belly can be useful to expel excess of gases and reduce bloating.
How to eat to prevent bloating?
– Eat slowly and chew food properly: Food contains many air molecules in its composition. By chewing food well we will expel the air before it enters into the digestive system. By chewing food well we also disaggregate food better which facilitates digestion.
– Avoid stress at meals: When eating is important that we do in a calm atmosphere. Stress makes to ingest food quickly without chewing it well, which will favor absorbing a lot of air.
– Avoid sucking to much air: When using a spoon we will let it enter into the mouth without sucking to much, not to get too much air into the mouth. Also, when drinking, it is best to do it through a glass than from a bottle. The best way to prevent swallowing air when drinking is to to it with a straw.
More information about flatulence and its natural treatment.
Remedies for bloating