What is hoarseness?
Mallow is ideal to soften the lining of the respiratory system
There are some voice problems characterized by difficulty pronouncing words properly, making sounds different from what they normally should be.
Hoarseness is characterized by a difficulty in the characteristics of the voice which can show a low tone, discourteous and with low intensity. Sometimes it sounds as the person who tries to speaks is choking.
Symptoms of hoarseness
The main symptoms or hoarseness are:
– Loss of voice,
– Voice is not heard,
– Hoarse and low intensity voice,
– Scratchy voice,
– Husky voice,
– Breathy voice.
Causes of hoarseness
The most important causes are:
– Respiratory diseases: Among these, some very well knows are laryngitis or inflammation of the larynx, sore throat or inflammation of the throat, tonsillitis, or inflammation of the tonsils (tonsillitis), persistent cough, allergies, nodules, tumors, etc.
– Misuse of voice: There are some occasions when voice is forced too much. For example: voices pushing too hard for work reasons (teachers, singers, vendors, public relations, etc..); voices showing anger (loud cries of anger or reprimand); prolonged crying (especially children crying) All these situacions can irritate the vocal cords an can be a cause of aphony.
– Ingestion of toxic or irritant products: Smoking, alcohol ingestion of irritants (pepper, vinegar, harsh chemicals, etc.) can produce aphonia.
– Igestion of foreign objects: They can result in temporary or permanent change of voice.
– Nerve cause (Psychogenic aphonia): This is the reason for some hoarse voices, or also for voices with a different timbre or intensity which appear in certain cases of nervousness. Sometimes this situation produces a husky voice or a sharp and shrilly voice similar to a whistle.
– Handling of the larynx: Certain operations or medical procedures such as polyp surgery, insertion of cannulas for a review of the digestive or respiratory tract (bronchoscopy) may cause hoarseness or voice changes.
– Excessive cold: Cold contact with the throat because of cold weather or when drinking cold beberages or eating cold icecreams can cause a change in voice.
How to avoid hoarseness?
To prevent the occurrence of voice changes the following guidelines should be taken into account:
– Do not force your voice: Instead of shouting, you should learn to control your breathing and try to use the muscles of the diaphragm more than those of the throat in order not not force the vocal cords.
– Do not ingest food or drink products that may cause aphony: Similarly limit consumption of cold water or ice cream in summer. If you are not able to do it, keep ice-creams or cold water for a time in the mouth to warm.
– Cover your throat properly, especially in winter to prevent air currents affect it.
Diagnostic of hoarseness
Hoarseness or voice change that does not disappear in three or four days requires care from a specialist to diagnose the real causes of the problem.
More information about hoarseness.
21 June, 2020