Tips to sleep well
How can you fall asleep easier
Insomnia is the inability to sleep or difficulty staying asleep. It is a problem that decreases the quality of life and influences the work rate.
It is believed that 10% of the population has this sleep disorder.
How to avoid insomnia?
This disorder usually requires multifactorial treatment, which may include sleep hygiene, relaxation, feeding, etc
Among the main behavioral tips to be able to fall asleep and keep it better throughout the night, it is worth considering:
- Use the bed only for sleeping. If you are nervous and you can not sleep, you should stand up and listen to music, read, etc. in a different room. You should only go back to bed when you have real need for sleeping. You should never work in bed.
- Sleep only the hours needed. You should try getting up and going to be at the same time each day. Naps should not be extended beyond an hour.
- Avoid violent physical exercises two or three hours before bedtime. However, moderate exercise, like a pleasant stroll after dinner or a brief stretch before getting into bed can help you fall asleep.
What foods are more suitable for insomnia?
- Avoid high-fat food, salty and heavy meals, specially a few hours before bedtime.
- By contrast a light meal high in proteins or carbohydrates, like a glass of milk, yogurt or cheese, some biscuits, etc. can help you sleep.
- Similarly, those foods rich in calcium, magnesium, vitamin B and vitamin C promote sleep.
- If you are elderly, you will have to avoid drinking a lot at night to avoid having to wake up too many times to urinate.
- Avoid ingestion of toxic substances and stimulants such as coffee, chocolate, cola, etc.
- A relaxing bath in relatively cold water is sometimes very useful.
- Taking some form of relaxation such as massages, breathing exercises, relaxation techniques can serve not only to relax your body, but to direct your our mind towards a more positive thoughts, diverting it from worries or stress that often prevents you from sleeping.
- Protect you from outdoor noise: If a room faces a very noisy street, the use of double glazed windows can isolate you from outside noise. You can even use earplugs.
- Protect you from excessive light: For very bright rooms, the installation of blackout curtains, can promote sleep. This type of clothes do not let any light enter. If this is not possible, you can use a sleeping mask to cover your eyes.
- Do not take sleeping pills without a prescription.
- Avoid stress. Stress completely alters all hormonal cycles. It is highly recommended to use relaxation and rest techniques, especially in people who are very fatigued by stress.
- Sleep at night. Respecting the body’s circadian rhythm is necessary for the cycle of night hormones, such as melatonin, to function properly and repair the body.
- If there is a lot of stress, cortisol (alert hormone) blocks the effect of melatonin. Therefore, it is convenient that the two previous guidelines go hand in hand.
More information about insomnia.
17 August, 2020