- 1 Natural remedies for constipation in irritable bowel
- 1.1 HOW TO TREAT CONSTIPATION IN IRRITABLE COLON
- 1.2 Symptoms of irritable bowel with constipation
- 1.3 Causes of constipation in irritable bowel. Why is constipation produced or aggravated?
- 1.4 TREATMENT OF CONSTIPATION IN IRRITABLE BOWEL
- 1.5 Diet for irritable bowel with constipation
- 1.6 Fiber to help evacuate
- 1.7 Inadequate or contraindicated remedies for constipation
- 1.8 Are antidepressants effective?
- 1.9 Alternative treatment for constipation in irritable bowel
Natural remedies for constipation in irritable bowel
HOW TO TREAT CONSTIPATION IN IRRITABLE COLON
Symptoms of irritable bowel with constipation
Drawing courtesy of © Dibujosparapintar
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a disease with a component of nervous origin, which produces alterations in the depositional rhythm.
One of the manifestations of irritable bowel syndrome is that one which is classified as irritable colon constipation subtype. It is characterized by presenting at least one of the following symptoms:
- Less than 3 bowel movements a week
- Hard depositions or balls
- Excessive effort during defecation
- Constipation may occur in alternation with episodes of diarrhea
Often these symptoms are accompanied by pain, digestive discomfort and possibly swollen belly, flatulence, headache, fatigue, mood swings, etc. It has been observed that these types of irritable bowel (subtype constipation or alternation with diarrhea) appear more frequently in women (80%).
* More information: Diagnosis of types of irritable bowel
Causes of constipation in irritable bowel. Why is constipation produced or aggravated?
Generally the main causes of constipation in irritable bowel syndrome are due to:
For constipation, you should eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Low fiber diet: The low consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables in the diet is one of the most frequent causes of constipation. Along with the diet should be taken plenty of water to hydrate the fecal bolus.
- Diet that harms the gut microbiota: Because of eating foods that are very high in fat (especially animal fats or fried foods), additives, cereal bran, etc. A diet with natural foods is recommended (avoid sausages, processed meats, cookies, soft drinks, industrial snacks, etc.).
- Treatments with plants or medicines: Constipation can be caused by the use of some laxative infusions (senna, cascara sagrada), whose habitual use produces intestinal dependence.
- Antidiarrheal medications or those that affect intestinal motility are also contraindicated.
- Emotional causes: Stress, situations of nervousness, anxiety, sadness, anger, anguish or depression. The chemical substances that the brain produces in a stressful situation can produce an aggravation of the symptoms of the irritable colon.
- Allergies: In case of irritable bowel with alternating symptoms (periods of constipation and diarrhea), consider testing for gluten allergy or wheat intolerance (SGNC).
- Toxics: Tobacco, alcohol, drugs.
Aggravating or causing reasons of irritable bowel
TREATMENT OF CONSTIPATION IN IRRITABLE BOWEL
Diet for irritable bowel with constipation
The diet recommended in cases of irritable bowel with episodes of constipation consists of healthy eating bases with the following advice:
Grated carrot with lemon. Simple and healthy recipe.
- A lot of hydration throughout the day to replace the losses
- Eat in a quiet environment
- Natural and adequate food: Some of the most recommended foods are: lettuce, carrots, onions, apples, mango, seaweed, banana, brown rice, potatoes, sweet potato, pear, fruit compote, etc.
- Add seeds to the dishes: Seeds such as chia, flaxseed or sesame seeds may be highly recommended.
- Aromatic herbs: laurel, garlic, thyme, rosemary, turmeric, etc.
Fiber to help evacuate
Taking a lot of fiber has been shown to be a good remedy for constipation and other irritable bowel symptoms. The most suitable is the so-called soluble fiber, present in fruits, and vegetables. Soluble fiber supplements (glucomannan, ispágula or psyllium, chia pudding, chia seeds, flaxseed, etc.) can also be recommended.
If fiber supplements are taken, it should always be along with a diet rich in fiber and abundant hydration (water) to be effective. Also magnesium supplements, which are slightly laxative (by osmosis).
Inadequate or contraindicated remedies for constipation
Bran cereal . This type of cereal is very harmful and is not recommended
Insoluble fibers are not suitable as the bran of the cereals, which are very irritating to the digestive tract.
Attention must be paid to the labels because they are often the most common plants on the shelves of supermarkets, which appear under different trade names such as “Infulax”, “Intestinal transit”, etc. They are also toxic plants contraindicated in pregnancy.
In some cases, specialists consider that the habitual use of laxative infusions is what produces chronic constipation and that can trigger this syndrome. (more information)
Are antidepressants effective?
Antidepressants must be prescribed by a doctor and the person who takes them must go to the periodic controls. Sometimes studies reveal that there are other medications that are more effective than others and for this reason the doctor or psychiatrist must periodically assess the patient situation.
According to some studies, fluoxetine may not be effective in the treatment of irritable bowel, one of the most commonly used antidepressants.
Other types of antidepressants such as tricyclics and paroxetine have reduced evidence to improve abdominal pain. Self-medication is dangerous without medical control.
* More information: Medicines for the irritable bowel
Alternative treatment for constipation in irritable bowel
Alternative treatment of irritable bowel constipation consists of:
- Relaxation is an important part of the treatment
- Satisfactory medical and psychological treatment: The doctor has a fundamental role to control that the state of health is optimal and help to reassure the possible doubts of the disease that may arise.
- Psychotherapy is highly recommended since it is considered that this disease has a strong link with the nevus state and the experience of emotions, so it is recommended to go to a properly qualified clinical psychologist.
- Routine for defecation: dedicate adequate time to it.
- Reduce stress, relaxation therapies such as yoga, meditation, mindfulness, etc. are recommended. It has been proven that situations of nervousness, anxiety, depression or chronic stress produce an aggravation of irritable bowel symptoms, in addition to being considered one of the causative or triggering factors of this disease.
- Advice of a nutritionist dietitian to take an adequate diet and not fall into the use of inappropriate products such as foods with too many additives, too many fats or too much irritating fiber (crackers, fiber cereals, etc.). A healthy diet is the best prevention of diseases and the first treatment in intestinal diseases.
* Related information:
More information on irritable colon and its natural treatment.