Tips to prevent or treat ringing in the ears
In case of tinnitus, hearing loss or ear injury, some changes in life habits can improve the symptoms of these ear anomalies. Among the main tips to avoid tinnitus or make it more bearable, we could mention the following:
– Reducing obesity and cholesterol: There has been an improvement in patients who have diminished their weight or reduced their levels of blood cholesterol.
– Improve eating habits: A diet based on natural foods diet rich in vegetables, low in fat, with a lot of vitamins, minerals and fiber helps reduce tinnitus. (More information about tinnitus diet in the listing above)
– Protect the ears against loud noise: Earplugs makes ringing in the ears more bearable in some patients
The use of soft earplugs or ear muffs can prevent permanent or temporary tinnitus. It is essential to wear protective plugs in certain professions to avoid excessive prolonged exposure to noise. For example, this is the case of people working on a construction site who are continuously exposed to jackhammers, carpenters to buzz saws, workers in airports to airplanes, gardeners to lawn mowers or farmers to tractors.
If you are working in an extremely noisy place, you should take a rest now and again. Leave it for a while for a few minutes in order your ears can take a rest.
Try listening to radios, television, cassettes, etc. with a moderate voice intensity. This is especially needed in small areas such as when listening to music in a car.
Do the same with your portable music player (Mp3, iPod or similar). Turn down the volume of your headphones. They can damage your ears seriously.
Music in discos or music bars is generally to loud. Try to protect your ears if you happen to go to these places. Do not remain there for too long without giving your ears a rest. Go out to a more silent place from time to time.
– Avoid taking aspirins or similar: Aspirin contains acetylsalicylic acid that can be responsible for hearing loss. All the same can be said for those herbs that contain the same principle (willow, meadowsweet and wintergreen)
– Take some form of alternative therapy: It has been established that the the adoption of some alternative treatments improves the condition of patients. Among these we mention:
– Phytotherapy: Some herbal remedies can be prepared to prevent or diminish tinnitus symptoms (More information about “Tinnitus remedies” in the listing above)
– Electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) In most cases, it improve the disease, but it can also worsen it.
– Other resources to relieve tinnitus: There are technical devices designed to conceal severe tinnitus. These emit a pleasing sound that covers up the annoying sounds of tinnitus. Another possibility is to hide ringing in the ears is listening to music or watching television, hearing them with your headphones.
More information about tinnitus and its natural treatment.