Dryness problems in the vagina and their causes
What is vaginal dryness?
The vaginal dryness is a female genital disorder characterized by a lack of lubrication of the vagina, which can cause itching, irritation, discomfort and pain during sexual penetration or intercourse act.
In addition, the loss of humidity supposes the reduction of the protective flora and the greater facility to contract vaginal infections .
Why can the vagina become dry?
There is a case where vaginal dryness is frequent, known as vaginal dryness or atrophic vaginitis. In these cases, the disturbance can be caused by a decrease in estrogens, for example at menopause .
How does normal vaginal lubrication occur?
The vaginal lubrication occurs naturally in the genital mucosa. The vulvar glands are responsible for secreting a clear lubricating liquid, which facilitates sexual intercourse.
The glands responsible for secreting it are coordinated by the autonomous nervous system ( neurohormonal nervous system ), which in turn is stimulated by the hormones progesterone and estrogens . Both hormones stimulate the production of cervical mucus produced by the glands of the cervix. This liquid passes through the membranes to the muscular walls of the vagina and is, in addition, poured out by the vulvar glands that empty into it.
How is vaginal dryness noted?
The main symptoms of vaginal dryness are:
- Dry vagina
- Lack of lubrication
- Pain in intercourse
- Lack of moisture in the vagina
- Irritation or pain in sexual relations
- Inflammation or irritation of the vagina after sexual intercourse.
Causes for which the vagina becomes dry
The main causes of vaginal dryness are:
- Personal problems : Lack of personal security, fear or nervousness about sexual intercourse, lack of interest in a partner, stress or depression are psychological states that can affect the production of vaginal lubricant by influencing the autonomic nervous system. and in the production of estrogens, which can generate dryness in the vagina.
- Menopause : The reduction of estrogens caused by menopause is one of the possible causes of dryness in the vagina. The aging leads generally to lower production fluid.
- Hysterectomy or removal of ovaries
- Infectious microorganisms : They are responsible for the alteration of the necessary vaginal fluids and the dryness or substitution of the same by other harmful secretions (candid, chlamydiae or mainly streptococci)
- Lactation : The lactation period involves hormonal changes that can alter the fluids in the vagina.
- Dehydration: the lack of hydration in the body can cause problems of this type.
- Drugs or Medications: Certain toxic products, such as drugs, or certain medications can cause dryness in the vagina.
- Chemotherapy and abdominal radiation therapy
Diagnosis and treatment of vaginal dryness
A period of transient vaginal dryness is a normal thing that can affect any woman especially as she gets older.
Before a prolonged period of lack of lubrication, the most prudent thing is to visit the gynecologist to diagnose the causes of this problem and decide on the most appropriate treatment to follow.
More information on the vaginal dryness.
2 July, 2020