Aloysia citrodora Paláu
PROPERTIES OF LEMON VERBENA
Common noun: Lemon verbena, Lemon beebrush, Lemonscented Verbena, Herb Louisa
Scientific noun: Aloysia citrodora Paláu
– Synonyms: Lippia triphylla (L’Hér.) O. Kuntze. = Lippia citrodora Kunth
Family: Verbena Family – Verbenaceae
Habitat: Native from South America, it can be found cultivated in many gardens and orchards, because its lemon-like scented leaves and flowers and because of its medicinal properties.
Characteristics of Lemon Verbena
Scented, deciduous shrub of the Verbena Family – Verbenaceae – up to 2,5 m Erect stems, ligneous above. Lanceolate leaves, till 10 cm, in verticils of 3, petiolated. Flowers gathered in racemes, bell-shaped, purplish outside, more whitish inside. The fruit is a drupe.
A detail of the plant Dibujosparapintar.com
Native from South America, it can be found cultivated in many gardens and orchards, because its lemon-like scented leaves and flowers and because of its medicinal properties.
Picking-up and storing Lemon beebrush: Flowers will be picked up in summer. It is convenient to pick up the leaves before the plant bloom. Both should be dried in the shade and stored in cloth bags in a fresh and dry place.
Components of Lemon verbena
Essential oil very rich in:
– Citral: antibacterial, antihistaminic, fungicide, expectorant, anticancerous.
– Linalol: antibacterial, antiinflammatory,antiespasmodic, hepatoprotective.
– Camphene: antioxidant, expectorant
– Terpineol: antiasthmatic, antibacterial, antitussive, expectorant
– Caryophyllene: antiinflammatory, antiasthmatic, antibacterial, antitumor
– Limonene: antibacterial, anticancerous, antiespasmodic, expectorant
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF LEMON BEEBRUSH
– Stomach: To make digestion easier or in weak or nervous stomachs, it exercises a stomachic, digestive and tranquilizing tonic function, avoiding the spasms and the dyspepsia – bad digestions accompanied by gases, vomiting sensation and stomach ache – Borneol and limonene are responsible for this last property. (Infusion of a spoonful of dry leaves for each cup of water. Three cups a day, after meals)
– Bad breath: When one has the tendency to have halitosis,o bad breath it is very useful to carry out mouthwashes with the infusion of a spoonful of leaves and dry flowers of Lemon beebrush for each cup of water.
Picture of Lemon verbena
– Respiratory track: The infusion of a spoonful of leaves and dry flowers of Lemon beebrush are beneficial for the affections of the respiratory system, especially to expel the mucous, reason why it exercises an expectorant function. In the same way the same preparation is appropriate to combat cough.
– Relaxant: It is very appropriate the infusion of this plant to relax and to strengthen the nerves. This same infusion one can be added to the water of the bath to get the mentioned tranquilizing effect.
Another uses of Lemon verbena
– Kitchen: Lemon beebrush is used in the kitchen like an aromatic plant, to flavor many dishes: fish, chicken, salads, pastries, etc. It also enters in cocktails, sherbets, or cold drinks to whom it contributes with a very exotic touch. Equally interesting it is for ” chefs ” the sauce of Herb louisa that is elaborated with its leaves, with sugar, flour, butter and lemon juice.
– Perfume industry: Being its essential oil very rich in aromatic components and because of its germicide properties, it is used in the industry of the perfumery, entering in the composition of many cleaning products, like soaps, shampoos, tooth pastes, hair lotions, etc.
More information about natural medicine.