What is an herbal infusion?
What is an infusion?
It is the most common type of herbal tea, consisting on extracting the active ingredients of a plant by means of using hot water.
Water is usually applied on the tenderest parts – leaves, or flowers – and let the ingredients stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
Herbal teas in paper bags?
People are very accustomed to using the method of paper bags infusions. The bags can be purchased at the grocery or health food store.
Once home, we have to place a bag into a cup and pour hot water on, then,we let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes.
There are people who even dare to prepare bag infusions in the microwave, something which is not proved to be a suitable method to extract the medicinal ingredients of plants.
The infusion bag is a kind of very practical preparation, although in most cases, these bags contain very poor quality herbs, so it is better to buy bulk herbs in a reputable store.
Once medicinal herbs purchased, we must know how to prepare to get from infusions all the real medicinal properties.
How is a home infusion done?
The traditional method is the one that has proven to be more effective in the preparation of infusions and the only home method that manages to extract all of the plants healing principles. It is usually done in two ways:
- Single infusions into a cup or glass
- Infusions for several doses in pot or container
How is a single infusion done?
- Depositing a teaspoon of dried plant inside a cup, the equivalent to a weight of 23 g. If it is fresh grass, the amount has to be usually double.
- Once the plant parts in water, it must be put to boil and covered the pot, so that the properties that are in the plant oils do not evaporate.
- The plant has to be maintained with hot water into the cup for a period of between 5 and 10 minutes.
- Subsequently, it is strained and it is ready to drink.
- It can be sweetened with sugar, but it is best to use honey.
How is an infusion in pot prepared?
If you desired to prepare a plant infusion for multiple doses or for many persons, the following method can be followed:
- Put a casserole with water to boil over high heat
- When it is boiling, turn off the fire and add the plant when it finishes boiling (about of dried herb or 10 6 teaspoons if tender . Between 20 and 30 g, respectively, per liter of water)
- Cover the casserole and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes
- Strain it and it is now ready to take
- If you find it not pleasant, it is best to be sweetened with honey.
How many doses can be taken daily?
Take 2 to 3 cups a day.
How to preserve the infusion?
They should be stored in the refrigerator or in a cool place if you want to retain and should not make it past there one day.
More information on medicinal plants.
9 May, 2020