What is asthma?
Asthma is a chronic respiratory disease characterized by difficulty breathing, caused by constipation of the bronchi that are inflamed and irritated.
This causes less space for oxygen to pass, with the consequent feeling of suffocation or shortness of breath.
Although the exact causes that determine the appearance of the disease are not known, we can mention the following:
- Heredity: the descendants of people who suffer from this disease are more likely to develop it.
- Allergies: A history of allergy, particularly rhinitis, is an important risk factor for the development of asthma.
- Poorly cured respiratory tract diseases can trigger asthma attacks. It is important to carry out an appropriate treatment and as soon as possible.
- Allergens: These are substances that trigger an allergic reaction by stimulating the secretion of certain substances, among which is histamine, which are responsible for inflammation of the bronchi, etc.
Main allergens that can cause asthma
Among the main allergens, we would have the following:
- Pollen from certain plants, such as pellitory-of-the-wall, (See plants that cause allergies)
- Certain chemical elements
- Dust and environmental pollution
- Contact with mites, which can trigger the disease.
- Ingestion of toxics, such as tobacco consumption or certain medications, especially those containing salicylin, or those intended to treat high blood pressure.
Among the main symptoms of asthma we have the following:
- Shortness of breath, feeling of tightness in the chest
- Coughing attacks
- Respiratory problems
- Chest tightness
- Whistling in the chest
- Chest weight
- Night attacks, trouble breathing at night
- Nocturnal secretions
If the symptoms seen above appear, a visit to the specialist is required to diagnose the existence or not of the disease. There are different diagnostic tests that need to be done.
TIPS TO AVOID ASTHMA ATTACKS
It will be very appropriate to avoid those situations or elements that can trigger the disease. Among these we should mention the following.
- Avoid those places where the existence of environmental factors can trigger the crisis: closed places, small spaces, especially if they have one or dust. Contact with certain pets
- Stress: stressful situations, means a decrease in the body’s defenses and can favor the appearance of asthmatic attacks.
- Ambient temperature: A cold environment can provide the same results.
- Physical exercise: In certain situations, after an exercise, physical an asthmatic attack can appear.
- Diet: Certain foods rich in preservatives and dyes can promote, even produce, the appearance of the disease. In front of these industrially packaged products and full of artificial substances, a natural diet of a more vegetarian nature is opposed, rich in natural foods, which does not have elements that can produce food allergic reactions and eliminates certain components of the body that favor the appearance of this disease.
More information about asthma
16 June, 2020