What are cataracts?
A cataract is an eye disease characterized by a loss of eyesight due to a lack of transparency of the crystalline lens.
It is a vision problem that affects 75% of persons aged 70 years and can affect both an eye or both of them, equally or differently in each one.
Symptoms of cataracts
The main symptoms of cataracts are:
- Lack of visual acuity
- Spots in vision,
- Discomfort in front of the sun rays,
- Loss of color,
- “Halos” around the lights at nigh, etc…
Causes of cataracts
The main causes of cataracts are:
- Age: Cataracts occur as time passes as a result of a degenerative process, since the cells of the eye are suffering constant attacks every day.
- Disease: Some diseases, such as rubella during the first months of pregnancy or congenital herpes, may cause inherited cataracts in babies. Others diseases, such as diabetes, atopic dermatitis, ichthyosis, wilson’s disease, etc. attack the organ of vision being one the causes which, over time, can reduce sight and cause cataracts.
- Injuries: A big hit in the eye or a trauma can lead to the emergence of a cataract.
- Bad habits: the habit of taking to much sunbathing, without using proper glasses, because of the ultraviolet rays, can damage the eye and eventually produce cataracts.
- Steroids or other drugs : People who have been medicated for a long time with steroids or other drugs, such as haloperidol, are more likely to develop cataracts.
- Diet: A poor diet can lead to poor eye health. A poor diet, coupled with aggressive environmental conditions and oxidation of the body itself, are the main causes of the appearance of free radicals. Vision is one of the most delicate sense and the most affected because of these oxidative agents.
Diagnosis and treatment of cataracts
Any eye problem first requires a previous visit to a specialist to diagnose the real causes of the disorder.
The solution to this problem is a surgical removal of the affected crystalline lens.
This is done with local anesthesia and generally does not require to remain in the hospital the same night after it has taken place. In most of the cases, this intervention allows recovering sight.
More information about cataracts and their natural treatment.
8 July, 2020