What is glaucoma?
Glaucoma is an eye disease characterized by excessive intraocular pressure that occurs when aqueous humor – transparent fluid inside the eye – can not go outside.
Because of excessive compression, optic nerve becomes damaged. Glaucoma is a disease which, if untreated, causes blindness.
Symptoms of glaucoma
Glaucoma does not often produce any symptoms.
Causes of glaucoma
Any eye problem first requires a visit to a specialist
The main causes of glaucoma are:
- Ocular hypertension: High pressure within the eye is the main factor to develop glaucoma.
- Age: Glaucoma is more common with older people
- Inheritance: The “congenital glaucoma” has genetic causes. Sometimes glaucoma occurs because of a lesion during pregnancy.
- Disease: Some diseases like diabetes or hypertension attack the organ of vision being causes of glaucoma.
- Steroids: Those who have been medicated with steroids for a long time are more likely to develop glaucoma.
- Food: A poor diet can lead to poor eye health.
- Free Radicals: A poor diet, aggressive environmental conditions and oxidation of the body itself are the main causes of the appearance of free radicals, for which the vision is one of the most sensitive organs and the most affected.
Diagnosis of glaucoma
Any eye problem first requires a visit to a specialist who will provide you a diagnosis about it.
This is especially required for retinal detachment or for glaucoma whose appropriate and quick treatment is needed to avoid the visual loss in the affected eye.
To diagnose this disorder, the doctor or ophthalmologist may perform a series of specific tests, such as a tonometry (measure of tension in the eye) a visual field test or a gonioscopy. (To test the internal drainage system of the eye)
Treatment of glaucoma
The main treatment for glaucoma usually focuses on medication or surgical intervention to diminish ocular hypertension.
What is the natural treatment for glaucoma?
The natural treatment of glaucoma involves the use of a number of natural remedies that can prevent or ameliorate it.
More information about glaucoma and its natural treatment.