Tips to improve psoriasis
Psoriasis is a chronic and recurrent disease, that is to say, it has no cure, and can appear and disappear and reappear again at any time.
The best important thing to do in the treatment of psoriasis is trying to minimize its symptoms, attempting they could be the less bothersome as possible.
What to do to improve psoriasis symptoms?
Among all the tips to improve psoriasis symptoms we could mention the following:
– Try to avoid stress: Stress worsens this condition. A more positive attitude towards life in which you try to avoid situations involving stress may help the symptoms of this disease from getting worse. On the other hand, we must bear in mind that this is a chronic disease and we have to get used to it. Sometimes, instead of being worried, leaving the problems that affect us and making a short trip or starting a vacation is the ideal way to improve psoriasis.
– Light therapy for psoriasis : Exposure to the sun improves the conditions of this disease. Hot dry climates are best. 20 minutes of daily sunbathing for the affected skin parts will help to improve psoriasis symptoms.
I you intend to undertake any light therapy, your should protect the rest of your body with a sunscreen (with a sun protection factor of 15 or higher) to avoid the intense radiation which may be responsible for skin burning, skin aging (dry skin, wrinkles, skin spots, etc), or skin cancer. Don’t forget to wear sunglasses with a 100 % ultraviolet protection to prevent cataracts. Very sensitive skin people should avoid those hours of the day when radiation is more intense (10 am to 2 pm)
In colder and darker places or during winter, because skin can not be so easily exposed to the sun, it could be advantageous for you to undertake artificial light therapy under medical supervision.
In taking any medication or natural remedy, you should consult your doctor before taking any light therapy. Some medicines, such as hypertension pills, some psoriasis medication, antibiotics or contraceptives make your skin more light sensible, so you could become sunburned. All the same, there are some herbal medicines that can produce the same effect, such as St. John’s wort.
– Keeping skin moist: Dryness produces more skin peeling and pain. It is desirable to lubricate the affected skin with creams or oils to maintain skin moisture. (See the natural treatment of psoriasis in the listing above)
– Maintain your ideal weight: There is a greater possibility that obese people develop this disease. Losing weight is a good way to improve your symptoms. Avoid obesity.
– Avoid injuries: wounds or skin lesions lower the body’s ability to refuse external attacks and worsen the symptoms of psoriasis. People with psoriasis should take special care of their skin at maximum. Anything that produces skin abrasions should be avoided (tight clothes, very irritating cosmetic products, etc.)
– Take warm baths: A bath in a pool of hot water helps to reduce the thickness of the skin plaques.
– Control infections: Infections of the body, especially those caused by streptococci, can cause the onset or worsening of psoriasis. It has been proved that, after certain infectious diseases, there have been outbreaks of this disease.
– Maintain a good skin hygiene: Good skin hygiene is an ideal way of getting rid of organisms that can worsen or trigger psoriasis. Use natural cleaning products.
– Maintain a healthy life: A healthy diet, rich in natural foods, with adequate control of saturated animal fats and abundance of food with antioxidant properties is the best way to keep this disease under control and reduce unpleasant symptoms as much as possible. You should avoid ingesting or keeping your skin in contact with all possible toxic substances (alcohol, tobacco and other drugs, contamination, irritant agents, etc.)
More information about psoriasis and its natural treatment.