What is overflow incontinence?
Characteristics of overflow incontinence
Overflow incontinence is a disorder characterized by an involuntary loss of urine in which small losses are expelled.
This is due to the inability of completely emptying the bladder because it does not contract at the same time than the sphincter contracts.
It also occurs when the bladder or urethra is obstructed and the emptying of the urine does not occur completely.
Symptoms of overflow incontinence
- Inability to control urination.
- Tiny involuntary losses of urine day and night.
Consequences of overflow incontinence
- Psychological: Loss of self-esteem, depression, sexual problems, etc.
- Physical: Ulcers, irritations, infections, falls, etc.
- Social: Social isolation, familiar dependence, hospitalization, etc.
Causes of overflow incontinence
- Enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia)
- Spinal injuries
- Narrowing of the urethra
- Weak bladder muscles
- Some diseases that injure de nerves such as diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, spina bifida, alcoholism or multiple sclerosis.
- Constipation with fecal impaction (formation of a set of dry stool that can not be defecated)
- Some medicines, such as those for depression.
Diagnostics and treatment of overflow incontinence
Before the onset of symptoms that may indicate a urinary incontinence, we recommend a visit to a specialist who will diagnose the possible existence of this disorder and the most appropriate treatment to follow (this may require the use of medication, the introduction of catheters or surgery)
Among the advice to prevent or to improve incontinence by spillage we would have:
To properly treat the cause which could lead to this problem:
- Exercises to train the bladder: It consists in forcing the bladder to urinate voluntarily. Also, one can make a schedule for urinating every certain period.
- Avoid the excessive intake of liquids : This does not imply that you should not drink the necessary fluids, which would be worse since you will dehydrate yourself. It is better for you to drink in the morning and to take into account those foods that are very diuretic early in the morning, in order to stimulate kidney function producing a large quantity of urine during the first part of the day. Do not drink too much o do not eat too much diuretic food before going to bed.
- To use sanitary towels or sanitary wipes: Although they do not improve the problem, they can provide temporary help for people who can not control incontinence with the previous methods. They should only be used in extreme cases.
*Related information: Vitamins, minerals and other supplements for incontinence
More information on incontinence
8 July, 2020