- 1 Natural remedies for diarrhea in irritable bowel
- 2 How to treat diarrhea in irritable colon
Natural remedies for diarrhea in irritable bowel
Symptoms of irritable bowel with constipation
Drawing courtesy of © Dibujosparapintar
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a disease with a component of nervous origin, which produces alterations in the depositional rhythm.
One of the manifestations of irritable bowel syndrome is that one which is classified as irritable colon diarrhea subtype. It is characterized by presenting at least one of the following symptoms:
- More than 3 bowel movements a week
- Soft of liquid depositions
- Urgency to defecate
- Diarrhea may occur in alternation with episodes of constipation
Often these symptoms are accompanied by pain, digestive discomfort and possibly swollen belly, flatulence, headache, fatigue, mood swings, etc. In some cases, the severity of the symptoms causes it to be a disabling disease for working life.
* More information: Diagnosis of types of irritable bowel
Causes of diarrhea in irritable colon . Why does diarrhea take place?
Generally the main causes of diarrhea in irritable bowel syndrome are produced because of:
For constipation, you should eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Food Causes: Eating foods that are very high in fat (especially animal fats or fried foods), additives, caffeine, cereal bran, dairy products, eggs or nuts can cause diarrhea. We recommend a soft diet with natural foods (avoid processed meats, cookies, soft drinks, pasta, sausages, chocolates and industrial snacks).
- Treatments with plants or medicines: Constipation can be caused by the use of some laxative infusions (senna, cascara sagrada), whose habitual use produces intestinal dependence.
- Medicinal treatments: It can be caused by a side effect to certain medications or intolerance to its excipients (antibiotics, sorbitol, lactose, etc.) or laxative infusions (senna, cascara sagrada).
- Emotional causes: Stress, situations of nervousness, anxiety, sadness, anger, anguish or depression. The chemical substances that the brain produces in a stressful situation can produce an aggravation of the symptoms of the irritable colon.
- Allergies: In case of irritable bowel with alternating symptoms (periods of constipation and diarrhea), consider testing for gluten allergy or wheat intolerance (SGNC).
- Toxics: Tobacco, alcohol, drugs.
Aggravating or causing reasons of irritable bowel
How to treat diarrhea in irritable colon
Diet for diarrhea in irritable bowel
The diet recommended in cases of irritable bowel with episodes of diarrea consists of healthy eating bases with the following advice:
Grated carrot with lemon. Simple and healthy recipe.
- A lot of hydration along all day to replace the losses
- Eat in a quiet environment
- Natural and adequate food: Some of the most recommended foods are: carrots, apples, mango, raw banana, rice, potatoes, sweet potato, pear, fruit compote, etc.
- Aromatic herbs: laurel, garlic, thyme, rosemary, etc.
- Temporarily avoid: legumes and nuts
- Avoid: Processed products that can cause intestinal problems (sweeteners, sulfites, nitrites and nitrates, …), chewing gums and other products without sugar, coffee and drinks with caffeine, soft drinks with gas, high-fat foods (cookies, pasta or pastries, chocolates, pizzas, fatty cheeses, etc.) and processed meats (cold meats, pâtés, sausages, etc.)
- Avoid toxics: Alcohol and tobacco.
Supplements for irritable bowel with diarrhea
The use of vitamin and mineral supplements may be advisable
Occasionally, if diarrhea occurs frequently, it may be convenient to supplement with different nutrients from which deficiencies may occur.
Consult your doctor if the use of these food supplements is appropriate in your case.
Medicines for diarrhea in irritable bowel
Relaxation is an important part of the treatment
Antibiotics are necessary to eliminate possible parasites, harmful bacteria or other microorganisms that may be causing this affectation. If they are taken, it should always be by prescription and never self-medicate.
Antidiarrheals serve to stop diarrhea. Loperamide is the drug most commonly used to treat irritable bowel symptoms, but it does not cure it. These drugs are totally contraindicated in case of constipation since they act by reducing intestinal movement.
Antidepressants must be prescribed by a medical specialist and the person who takes them must go to the periodic controls. According to some studies, fluoxetine has not been shown to be effective in the treatment of irritable bowel.
* More information: Medicines for the irritable bowel
Probiotics for irritable bowel (constipation and diarrhea)
Probiotics are a treatment that is used to improve the microbiota or intestinal flora and improve its composition. Because antibiotics can decrease it, it is recommended to continue taking probiotics at least 15 weeks after antibiotics.
Types of probiotic supplements
It has been shown that treatment with probiotics helps improve symptoms of pain, bloating, and both constipation and diarrhea (so it is recommended in all types of irritable bowel).
* More information: How to buy a good probiotic
Alternative treatment for constipation in irritable bowel
Alternative treatment of irritable bowel constipation consists of:
- Satisfactory medical and psychological treatment: The doctor has a fundamental role to control that the state of health is optimal and help to reassure the possible doubts of the disease that may arise. Psychotherapy is highly recommended since it is considered that there is a nervous component. It is recommended to go to a properly qualified clinical psychologist.
- Reduce stress, relaxation therapies such as yoga, meditation, mindfulness, etc. are recommended.
- The advice of a nutritionist dietitian is recommended
* Related information:
More information on irritable colon and its natural treatment.