- 1 What is pain?
- 1.1 How is pain produced?
- 1.2 What is the purpose of pain?
- 1.3 Types of pain
- 1.4 Characteristics of acute pain
- 1.5 Is it recommended to take pain relievers?
- 1.6 Characteristics of chronic pain
- 1.7 Causes of pain
- 1.8 How to prevent pain?
- 1.9 Diagnosis and treatment of pain
- 1.10 NATURAL PAIN TREATMENT
- 1.11 What natural remedies exist for pain?
- 1.12 List of different types of pain
- 1.13 TABLE OF COMMON PAINS
What is pain?
Pain is an unpleasant sensation experienced by our bodies.
A strong musculature prevents us from injuring ourselves so easily and decreases the appearance and symptoms of back pain, bone pain, etc. In addition, contact with nature decreases nervousness.
How is pain produced?
It occurs when the brain receives the signal from the point of pain through the sensory nerves.
What is the purpose of pain?
Pain is a defense of the organism itself, as this informs the brain that something in our body is wrong.
It may have a physical origin as a result of illness or injuries, or it can have an emotional origin.
Types of pain
We distinguish two types of pain: Acute pain and chronic pain
Characteristics of acute pain
Severe pain or acute pain occurs during a short period and usually responds to a specific disease (mainly because of infections or inflammations) or body injury. It is a defense of the organism, as this informs the brain that something is not working properly. Pain relievers usually relieve this pain.
When a pain of this type occurs, the body produces its own inflammatory substances and, subsequently, anti-inflammatory, as they give the notice to repair the tissues to the body.
Immediate treatment is rest or rest for a couple or three days, depending on the severity of the injury. To reduce the inflammation, homemade anti-inflammatories (ice, poultices) can be applied.
Pain of longer duration or chronic pain: It exists permanently but appears with more intensity in certain periods. It is often caused by depression. Sometimes it responds to a particular physical disease and others it does not. It is not a defense of the body and is very difficult to alleviate with procedures that would be useful in acute pain.
Is it recommended to take pain relievers?
Acute pain is a natural, normal and necessary reaction when trauma occurs, which does not always require medication. The signs of inflammation that the body produces are those that, later, will activate the regeneration of the tissue. If medications are taken to stop these reactions (anti-inflammatory), recovery of the lesion at the tissue level will be slower. For this reason, using soothing drugs, which usually relieve this type of pain, can be counterproductive.
It is advisable to reserve the use of medications for severe cases, in which the pain is very strong or unbearable.
Characteristics of chronic pain
Chronic pain is a type of pain of longer duration that is permanently present, but that appears with greater intensity in certain periods. Depressive states are usually produced as a result of badly healed lesions, which radiate pain when there is no tissue injury.
Sometimes, chronic pain responds to a certain physical pathology, such as fibromyalgia, and others do not. Unlike acute pain, chronic pain is not a defense of the body itself and is very difficult to alleviate with procedures that would be useful in acute pain.
Causes of pain
The causes of pain can be very different, but they are fundamentally classified into three types:
- Somatic pain: Pain produced in the joints, muscles, skin and viscera
- Neuropathic pain: Pain of the nerves
- Psychogenic pain: Pain involving a state of depression or anxiety, although initially its origin may have been physical
How to prevent pain?
There are a series of measures that can be performed to reduce pain, even to prevent pain from appearing. Among the main recommendations we have:
- In case of muscle aches, sprains, broken bones, sprains, hernias, etc: It is absolutely necessary to put yourself in the hands of a physiotherapist and expert in training to do exercises aimed at recovering the muscles and properly rehabilitate the injury, in a center with adequate machines.It is not recommended to move without an expert due to the high risk of injury that involves doing uncontrolled exercises (such as sports or running) and because you have to train well to notice real changes.The use of natural anti-inflammatories, such as turmeric (supplements rich in curcumin) or ginger (infusions of ginger), and, in general, cooking with abundant aromatic plants can also be useful.
- In case of toothaches, headache, belly pain or other types of internal pains: you can take home remedies and see a doctor if the symptoms get worse or if they do not go away.
Diagnosis and treatment of pain
Pain management requires specialized attention when it does not improve, so the doctor can diagnose the real causes of this pain and apply the most appropriate treatment.
The ordinary treatment of acute pain is done by means of medicines called analgesics.
Chronic pain is more difficult to treat and in many occasions it needs to be treated under different specialists
We can use medicinal plants to make preparations with which to treat pain.
NATURAL PAIN TREATMENT
What natural remedies exist for pain?
Phytotherapy or natural medicine with plants can be very useful to reduce inflammation and reduce pain. Diet therapy is also very interesting. Among the remedies with medicinal plants to reduce pain, we have:
- Foods with essential anti-inflammatory fatty acids. It consists of seeds and foods that, due to their nutritional value, are adequate to introduce an anti-inflammatory diet
- Supplements based on amino acids, vitamins and / or minerals
- Oils and massage creams to reduce joint pain, applied locally on the area
List of different types of pain
There are many types of pain, since most diseases, wounds or body lesions manifest themselves through pain. However, there are some types of pain that generally appear more frequently.
In the following chart you can see the main commonly suffered types of pain. Click anyone of them to obtain a description and the most suitable natural treatment.
TABLE OF COMMON PAINS
|Muscles and sinews|
|Muscular atrophy||Bones and joints|
|Spasms/ache/cramps||Back or spine ache|
|Muscle pain||Neck pain|
|Stomach ache||Period pains|
More information on pain
4 February, 2020