What are skin spots?
Spots on the skin are changes in the color of the skin produced by various causes. Many of them, such as moles or spots of pregnancy do not represent anything other than a cosmetic problem.
Other times, certain spots, such as liver spots, are symptoms of the malfunction of an organ so that their treatment, in addition to responding to a question of personal appearance, requires solving the health problem that causes them.
Symptoms of skin spots
Skin spots, discoloration, moles, freckles, etc.
Causes of skin spots
– Freckles: These are gatherings of pigment produced on the skin in round shape and not uniform form. They do not pose any inconvenience to health. Sometimes they disappear with age. Most abundant in white-skinned people than in dark-skinned ones, They easily appear when people are in contact with the sun.
– Moles. They can range from brown to black or from flat to raised appearance. Known as nevi, they are produced by excessive pigmentation or by accumulation of small blood vessels. They have a congenital reason. With age, they may disappear or become larger, showing no physical importance, but being quite often a cosmetic problem. (They must be monitored to see them no to itch, bleed, or abruptly change color, size or shape. If so, they should be attended by a dermatologist)
– Spots caused by excessive sun exposure: They are caused by a melanin increase. Very common in older people that are subjected to sunbathing, they look more irregular and larger than freckles.
– Spots that appear during pregnancy (chloasma or melasma) are light-colored spots. They are produced by a hormonal disorder during this time, or because of ingestion of contraceptive hormones during menopause. They appear in certain parts of the face, like the forehead or cheek and chest. Sun exposure predisposes its appearance.
– Blue spots on the skin can occur from a blow. Sometimes they occur without apparent cause. These may respond to different reasons: because of a medication based on anticoagulants; coagulation problems in the blood (taking a lot of aspirin, for example); in diseases such as hemophilia; some kind of nutritional deficiency in vitamin C, K or folic acid; blood infections; liver diseases or some type of cancer. If blue spots appearing on the skin do not respond to shocks, it is recommended to visit the doctor.
– Vitiligo: It appears as white plaques, sometimes surrounded by a darker edge. They occur as a result of the loss of pigmentation in the skin, caused by varied reasons, such as thyroid problems or autoimmune skin reactions.
– Birth spots: Reddish or brownish, they have a genetic origin, presenting different forms and sizes.
Diagnostic and treatment of skin spots
If you have reason to be concerned about skin spots, either because you think they are not benign or because you are worried about esthetic reasons, it is desirable for you to visit a dermatologist to diagnose a possible solution.
A skin spot that bleeds, itches or abruptly changes color, size or shape should be monitored by a doctor as soon as possible!
Avoiding prolonged sun exposure may be the best antidote to avoid many of the unwanted spots on the skin to appear. People having a tendency to develop dark spots should use high factor sunscreen This is practically necessary in the case of vitiligo.
Modern medicine and cosmetics have very different procedures for partial or total elimination of skin spots. We may go to the aid of laser whitening or bleaching creams. The application of techniques such as peeling that removes the skin cells and encourages the emergence of new ones, and other techniques can be very helpful.
Natural treatment of skin spots can complement conventional treatment prescribed by your doctor.
More information about skin spots and its natural treatment.
28 March, 2019